Placeables in Wordfast Classic and Pro
Thread poster: Deborah Kolosova
Deborah Kolosova
Deborah Kolosova  Identity Verified
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
Sep 13, 2010

Is it just me, or does the term "placeable" seem to refer to two different concepts in Wordfast Classic and Wordfast Pro? In WFC, a placeable is a piece of _text_ which does not need to be translated and which can thus be transferred as-is from the source text to the target text. What is treated as a placeable can be specified by the user using Pandora's Box; I have found this feature to be handy in translating from Russian to English. Since anything with latin letters in it is obviously not R... See more
Is it just me, or does the term "placeable" seem to refer to two different concepts in Wordfast Classic and Wordfast Pro? In WFC, a placeable is a piece of _text_ which does not need to be translated and which can thus be transferred as-is from the source text to the target text. What is treated as a placeable can be specified by the user using Pandora's Box; I have found this feature to be handy in translating from Russian to English. Since anything with latin letters in it is obviously not Russian and thus generally does not need to be translated, I've set WFC to treat any word containing latin letters as a placeable. In WFP, on the other hand, the word "placeable" seems to refer to tags designating the format of parts of the text, rather than part of the text itself. Is there any way in WFP to specify what can be treated as a placeable, and can parts of the text (e.g. numbers, symbols, words containing certain letters, etc.) be placeables in WFP?Collapse

Comunican

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 07:40
Member (2006)
French to English
Not just you... Sep 15, 2010

Dear Deborah,

This is indeed very confusing. In WF Classic, a placeable was either a glossary term or an untranslatable element. Now the term refers to tags. At the moment, there doesn't seem to be a way to identify what should be treated as an untranslatable element. WF Pro however does have the autosuggest feature activated by default, which finds untranslatable elements (though I don't know how well this works for German as common nouns can be capitalized I think).

B
... See more
Dear Deborah,

This is indeed very confusing. In WF Classic, a placeable was either a glossary term or an untranslatable element. Now the term refers to tags. At the moment, there doesn't seem to be a way to identify what should be treated as an untranslatable element. WF Pro however does have the autosuggest feature activated by default, which finds untranslatable elements (though I don't know how well this works for German as common nouns can be capitalized I think).

Best regards,

John Di Rico
Wordfast Trainer
www.wordfast.fr
Collapse

Dragomir Kovacevic
Dragomir Kovacevic  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to Serbian
+ ...
placeables are being developed in WfP Sep 16, 2010

According to how I understood it a few months ago from the words of WfP forum manager, and how I would normally presume that a piece of software in progress won't ever neglect the features*** already present in its former opera, I'd say this exactly in the way how I comprehend the matter:

- WfC's achievements are not yet completely present in WfP, being the latter in development.
- Do use WfC for your regular work, and WfP solely for the very tagged formats.

***in
... See more
According to how I understood it a few months ago from the words of WfP forum manager, and how I would normally presume that a piece of software in progress won't ever neglect the features*** already present in its former opera, I'd say this exactly in the way how I comprehend the matter:

- WfC's achievements are not yet completely present in WfP, being the latter in development.
- Do use WfC for your regular work, and WfP solely for the very tagged formats.

***in WfP even numbers are not yet included as placeables (at least as acc. to my knowings till June this year)

Dragomir

Deborah Kolosova wrote:

Is it just me, or does the term "placeable" seem to refer to two different concepts in Wordfast Classic and Wordfast Pro? In WFC, a placeable is a piece of _text_ which does not need to be translated and which can thus be transferred as-is from the source text to the target text. What is treated as a placeable can be specified by the user using Pandora's Box; I have found this feature to be handy in translating from Russian to English. Since anything with latin letters in it is obviously not Russian and thus generally does not need to be translated, I've set WFC to treat any word containing latin letters as a placeable. In WFP, on the other hand, the word "placeable" seems to refer to tags designating the format of parts of the text, rather than part of the text itself. Is there any way in WFP to specify what can be treated as a placeable, and can parts of the text (e.g. numbers, symbols, words containing certain letters, etc.) be placeables in WFP?
Collapse

Yasmin Moslem
Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
English to Arabic
AutoSuggest and Ctrl+Tab Sep 16, 2010

Dragomir Kovacevic wrote:

***in WfP even numbers are not yet included as placeables (at least as acc. to my knowings till June this year)

Dear Deborah and Dragomir,

As John said, in Wordfast Pro 2.4 (and later versions), by default the new feature AutoSuggest is activated. It works for numbers, Capitalized words/phrases (even those whose the first letter only is capitalized), URLs and email addresses. One can type the first letter or digit in the target cell to get suggestions on the Auto-Suggest list.

You can download and install the latest version of Wordfast Professional available at:
http://www.wordfast.com/store_download.html

Another feature for regular words other than the above-mentioned types is that you can place the cursor in the target cell and press Ctrl+Tab to "Copy Word". Hold Ctrl and press Tab again and again to change the source word copied to the next one.

---
Best regards,
Yasmin Moslem

Wordfast Support Team
www.wordfast.com | www.wordfast.net

[Edited at 2010-09-16 17:51 GMT]

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
That's handy to know... Mar 11, 2015

I've been using WordFast Classic for a few years (after a fashion), and I'd always assumed that placeables were items that the program should insert automatically once the appropriate command was set. In fact, I arrived here after googling " how to use placeables in WF classic". As it happens, I know see that WF actually does what it is supposed to for me anyway, so I don't need to bother trying to set it up.

The function I'm looking for must be something else. Right now, the text
... See more
I've been using WordFast Classic for a few years (after a fashion), and I'd always assumed that placeables were items that the program should insert automatically once the appropriate command was set. In fact, I arrived here after googling " how to use placeables in WF classic". As it happens, I know see that WF actually does what it is supposed to for me anyway, so I don't need to bother trying to set it up.

The function I'm looking for must be something else. Right now, the text I'm working on has several instances of, for example "kingdomof" in the source language written that way, without spacing, and I'd like WF to automatically insert the translation "kingdom of" with normal spacing. I thought this was what the "placeables" function was for, which is why I tried to set it up today. I bet it's something really simple that I just haven't taken the time to find out how to set up...
Collapse

Norskpro
Norskpro
Norway
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Placeables within words Mar 11, 2015

I have just tried Wordfast Pro for the first time. It would be great if Wordfast Pro could make me translate faster, but a translation has never taken this long when I do not use a CAT tool. All the clicking and confirming just took extra time. The shortcut key given for confirmation did not work for me on my macbook, so I had to confirm in the toolbar every time. Then there were the placeables...
The source text had placeables in all kinds of places. I have not idea what they are for and
... See more
I have just tried Wordfast Pro for the first time. It would be great if Wordfast Pro could make me translate faster, but a translation has never taken this long when I do not use a CAT tool. All the clicking and confirming just took extra time. The shortcut key given for confirmation did not work for me on my macbook, so I had to confirm in the toolbar every time. Then there were the placeables...
The source text had placeables in all kinds of places. I have not idea what they are for and why they would be placed in the middle of words. Sometimes a word could have two or three placeables within it and I had no idea where to put these in the target text. I still don't.
Collapse

brg (X)
brg (X)
Netherlands
Just set Pandora's box Mar 11, 2015

neilmac wrote:

The function I'm looking for must be something else. Right now, the text I'm working on has several instances of, for example "kingdomof" in the source language written that way, without spacing, and I'd like WF to automatically insert the translation "kingdom of" with normal spacing. I thought this was what the "placeables" function was for, which is why I tried to set it up today. I bet it's something really simple that I just haven't taken the time to find out how to set up...

In Pandora's box just enable CopySourceWhenNoMatch and Propagate1, Propagate2 and Propagate3. You can create a glossary by using Ctrl Alt +T four the source term, followed by a second Ctrl +Alt +T for the target term. Once you have a glossary, these terms will propagate automatically.
Works fine, for instance for complicated geographical names.
In your case: kingdomof = kingdom of.
From time to time, revise your glossaries. They are in .txt, so very easy to handle.
You can create as many glossaries as you want, but only enable up to 3 at the same time.

As for the placeables function in Pro, this was one of the reasons why I don't use Pro anymore. {ut..} was driving me mad, I never knew whether it meant bold or change font or something else. But I adapted myself to Studio without any problems.

[Modifié le 2015-03-11 14:38 GMT]

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thanks for the info Mar 12, 2015

houtberg wrote:

In Pandora's box just enable CopySourceWhenNoMatch and Propagate1, Propagate2 and Propagate3. You can create a glossary by using Ctrl Alt +T four the source term, followed by a second Ctrl +Alt +T for the target term. Once you have a glossary, these terms will propagate automatically.
Works fine, for instance for complicated geographical names.
In your case: kingdomof = kingdom of.
From time to time, revise your glossaries. They are in .txt, so very easy to handle.
You can create as many glossaries as you want, but only enable up to 3 at the same time.

[Modifié le 2015-03-11 14:38 GMT]

Thanks for the information, I'll take it on board. I must admit I have never really bothered much with the glossaries option - I started preparing one for a couple of clients but they didn't seem to help me much, but that is probably my fault as I am not very patient about tinkering with my software, especially if I have work to do.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Placeables in Wordfast Classic and Pro

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »