Problems with pdf format and font
Thread poster: mckay2

mckay2  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:33
Member (2010)
German to English
+ ...
Sep 23, 2010

I am new to Wordfast and have both Classic and Pro. When I work on pdf documents in Pro the final saved version does not quite match the original pdf file in terms of format and font. Often headings are hidden by black boxes or have black boxes behind them. The font is not necessarily the same as the original. So far our clients have accepted this as they can presumably re-format the document themselves. But it doesn't look very professional. Any suggestions?

Direct link Reply with quote

Magdalena Szewciów  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2008)
English to Polish
+ ...
well Sep 23, 2010

I would simply suggest to use some nice and effective OCR software first with the PDF file, then get on with the translation. I always do that both in case of WF Classic and Trados (both of which I use). There is no way (at least none that I know of) for WF Pro or (even?) Trados to nicely export a translated PDF file without prior conversion with an OCR programme.

HTH

Dragomir Kovacevic  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to Serbian
+ ...
it is not supposed... Sep 23, 2010

that a CAT re-creates an identical pdf translated document. Just a few years ago, there was no tools capable of reproduction of a real pdf document.
In order to protect her-himself, a translator should always advert about the impossibility to follow a pdf exactly. Your clients obviously knows about this problem and does not press you, unless you insist on doing it!

You might ask for an exchange format, exportable from DTP software, like "mif", "inx". In that case, your translated file in WfP will look exactly as the original.

If your client wants an identical translated file, then you might extend your service and, besides translation, add the service of further desktop publishing, for an extra charge.

Dragomir

mckay2 wrote:

I am new to Wordfast and have both Classic and Pro. When I work on pdf documents in Pro the final saved version does not quite match the original pdf file in terms of format and font. Often headings are hidden by black boxes or have black boxes behind them. The font is not necessarily the same as the original. So far our clients have accepted this as they can presumably re-format the document themselves. But it doesn't look very professional. Any suggestions?

[Edited at 2010-09-23 07:17 GMT]

Piotr Wargan  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
a "font-preserving" solution is ... Sep 23, 2010

ABBYY Pdf Transformer (version 2.0) - I love this thing

My Wordfast is the classic one, so I can only speak about this combination: ABBYY + WF Classic. When I have a pdf file to be translated, I transform it into an editable Word document with the Pdf Transformer.

The whole format is preserved (including fonts, tables, pictures, columns etc.)- a miracle software it is indeed.

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 11:33
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
PDF editing software Sep 23, 2010

We have a number of PDF editing software now (irrespective of OCR tools). If the client insists on strict preserving of the original graphic, layout and fonts, I use those software. But translation of texts there is by means of indirect use of other tools e.g. using Trados T-window for clipboard, SDL Edit for clipboard, WordFast Classic. Text box overwrite can be used instead of OCR tools if the original texts are graphic, not characters.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problems with pdf format and font

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search