Wordfast Anywhere
Thread poster: Guy Bray

Guy Bray  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:46
Member (2002)
French to English
Sep 29, 2010

Can anyone tell me how to upload a TM to W.A.? I couldn’t set up and get started W.A. because its website won’t allow me to upload a TM: it says it can’t recognize the language pair from the heading – but doesn’t provide an example to go by. Not very user-friendly! I was trying to upload a regular .TMX file exported from SDLX, such as I commonly exchange with other agencies and users.

Grateful for any suggestions. Is there a video or something specific? Has anyone else had this problem I'm still waiting for a response from Wordfast.

Guy

Marcelina Haftka  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 15:46
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
An idea Sep 29, 2010

Hello Guy,

What I usually do with Trados TMs is converting them into Wf TMs (so *.txt files for Wf Classic) - there are plenty freeware applications to do it. I use the Olifant tool.
Once you get the *.txt TM file, the Wordfast heading is e.g.
%20091011~200649 %User ID,MH,MH Marcelina Haftka, %TU=00000079 %EN-GB %Wordfast TM v.5.52y/00 %FR-FR %---82522501

where EN-GB > FR-FR is the language pair.
The usual *.tmx files can be read by "PC" Wordfast, but apparently in your case Anywhere has problems in finding the language pair description within the TM file.
Maybe try to change the heading in the way above (if you don't want to convert your TMs)?

Anyway, good luck with Anywhere!icon_wink.gif
Marcelina.

PS. A very short help file is to be found at: http://www.wordfast.net/anywhere/WFA_help.htm#_Toc199062230

United States
Member (2002)
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Complicated! Sep 29, 2010

Thanks/ However, I don't wish to sound ungrateful, but your proposed heading is too complicated for me to comprehend, let alone emulate. Wordfast says TMs for WA can be uploaded in .tmx format: I must be missng something.
Guy

Poland
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
That's why... Sep 29, 2010

... I told you: the best way is to convert your file into a Wf TM *.txt file.
It's just a couple of clicks with your mouse!

When I'm in the Anywhere, I can see:
You are going to upload a new TM.
The TM languages will be the ones declared in the TM header.
Uploading may take time if your TM is big.
Allowed file types are Wordfast TM text files(*.txt) and standard TMX TM files (*.tmx).
The file can be compressed (*.zip)
The maximum number of Tus is 500 000.
Type a symbolic name if you want to manage several TMs and click Ok to continue.

Are you sure your TM fulfils all the requirements mentioned above?
If yes, then maybe the Trados version is incompatible with the Wf A?

I've just tried uploading 2 different *.tmx files one from Trados 6.5, another one from some modern SDL Trados version - they both worked with my Anywhere, so the format itself does not seem to be the problem...

M.

Dragomir Kovacevic  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to Serbian
+ ...
maybe another type of tmx export Sep 29, 2010

Guy Bray wrote:

Thanks/ However, I don't wish to sound ungrateful, but your proposed heading is too complicated for me to comprehend, let alone emulate. Wordfast says TMs for WA can be uploaded in .tmx format: I must be missng something.
Guy

I vaguely remember that there are several tmx flavours: sdlx, dejavu, trados, etc. Try some standard type; in this choice of "standard" type of a tm in tmx-format, use tmx level 1.1 (without any formatting tags, just pure text)

Do inform about results, okay? Thanx.

Dragomir

[Edited at 2010-09-29 14:53 GMT]

United States
Member (2002)
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Sep 29, 2010

I'm very grateful for the various comments. Please note that I can't export a TM from SDLX in Wordfast .txt form since I don't have Wordfast yet (this is a trial). Wf Anywhere says it accepts TMX files, and that's what I've uploaded. No sign on the SDLX menu of alternative TMX formats. And my TMX exports to agencies and other translators have always worked perfectly well. I used a very small one as a test.
Fortunately a Wordfast expert has now offered to investigate my TM for me, and I'm hopeful he will be able to locate the problem. I will report in due course.

Guy

Poland
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
Converting TM Sep 29, 2010

Guy Bray wrote:

Please note that I can't export a TM from SDLX in Wordfast .txt form since I don't have Wordfast yet (this is a trial).

Guy, you don't need to have Wordfast to convert your TM into Wordfast one.
As I have already said, there are plenty of tools, for instance Olifant mentioned above: you open/import your tmx in/into Olifant (that's one click) and then you export it to a format chosen and save it (that would be about two-three clicks depending on the tool). Just as simple as that.

Marcelina.

United States
Member (2002)
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Agree Sep 29, 2010

I fully understand that, Marcelina (and I'm very grateful for your suggestion) and I will follow it if I have to, but Wf repeatedly says an SDLX TMX file will work. I suspect that there's some simple item I'm missing in the export process, and I would prefer to seek that solution first. I'm not in a hurry.
Guy

United States
Member (2002)
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Solution Sep 30, 2010

Thanks to Remi Andre I now have the solution. The SDLX TMX file has to be opened in notePad or other good editor, and the language property "srclang" in the heading must be changed from (in my case) =EN-US to =FR. It can then be uploaded without difficulty to Wordfast Anywhere, and used to translate.
Thaanks to everyone who contributed.
Guy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast Anywhere

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search