https://www.proz.com/forum/wordfast_support/182434-how_to_spellcheck_in_wfp_via_export.html

How to spellcheck in WFP via export
Thread poster: Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 17:14
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Oct 8, 2010

G'day everyone

Perhaps you all know about this already, but I just found out about it. Here's how to spell-check a Wordfast Pro file, in MS Word, if WFP's own spell-checking doesn't work with your language.

* In Wordfast Pro, press Ctrl+W.

OR

* In Wordfast Pro, click "Window", then "Show view", and then "Preview in MS Word".

This will create an MS Word file with your translations in a table, without the source text. Then simply c
... See more
G'day everyone

Perhaps you all know about this already, but I just found out about it. Here's how to spell-check a Wordfast Pro file, in MS Word, if WFP's own spell-checking doesn't work with your language.

* In Wordfast Pro, press Ctrl+W.

OR

* In Wordfast Pro, click "Window", then "Show view", and then "Preview in MS Word".

This will create an MS Word file with your translations in a table, without the source text. Then simply change the text language to your language, and do a spell-check in MS Word. Unfortunately you can't re-import the spell-checked text back into Wordfast Pro, but at least you'll be able to see where the spelling errors are.
Collapse

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
How to convert PDF to Word Oct 8, 2010

G'day Samuel,

It's a shame WFP doesn't offer a, let me guess, Afrikaans module. I know you don't mind experimenting, so did you try to integrate a language package from http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Dictionaries?

Whenever I read a useful tip like this I end up using it within two weeks, thanks in advance.

That's why I'd like to share my favourite WFP feature. Nowadays, when I receive a PDF file for translation I copy it to m
... See more
G'day Samuel,

It's a shame WFP doesn't offer a, let me guess, Afrikaans module. I know you don't mind experimenting, so did you try to integrate a language package from http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Dictionaries?

Whenever I read a useful tip like this I end up using it within two weeks, thanks in advance.

That's why I'd like to share my favourite WFP feature. Nowadays, when I receive a PDF file for translation I copy it to my desktop, drag and drop it on the WFP bar, and check the Word file WFP's PDF module has created. More often than not the Word document is perfect for counting with Word and very useful for analysis and translatiion with WFC.

Cheers,
Gerard
Collapse

Yasmin Moslem
Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
English to Arabic
MS Word Spelling Check in Wordfast Pro Oct 8, 2010

Samuel Murray wrote:

Here's how to spell-check a Wordfast Pro file, in MS Word, if WFP's own spell-checking doesn't work with your language.

Dear Samuel,

Many thanks for the very nice tip. It should be helpful for some colleagues.

Actually, if you are on Windows, you can use MS Word Spelling Check in Wordfast Pro directly. To use your MS Word spell checker in Wordfast 2.3 and 2.4, please go to Edit menu > Preferences > Spelling > Microsoft Office Spellcheck. You can also select: check spelling as you type. During the translation, press F7 to correct spelling errors.

Gerard de Noord wrote:

It's a shame WFP doesn't offer a, let me guess, Afrikaans module.

Dear Gerard,

Afrikaans Hunspell spelling dictionary is offered among many other languages as an update: Help menu > Wordfast Updates > Additional Dictionaries > Select whatever dictionaries you prefer.
http://screencast.com/t/FfxNg1M3U

Again, some users may prefer MS Word spell-checkers. But let's have all the options clear. : )

---
Best regards,
Yasmin Moslem

Wordfast Support Team
www.wordfast.com | www.wordfast.net

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Yasmin Oct 9, 2010

Yasmin Moslem wrote:
Actually, if you are on Windows, you can use MS Word Spelling Check in Wordfast Pro directly. To use your MS Word spell checker in Wordfast 2.3 and 2.4, please go to Edit menu > Preferences > Spelling > Microsoft Office Spellcheck. You can also select: check spelling as you type. During the translation, press F7 to correct spelling errors.

I've done this, but when I press F7, WFP waits a bit, then tells me that it has reach the end of the file and if I want to continue from the start, and then waits a bit more, and then tells me that there are no spelling errors. Even if there are.

Afrikaans Hunspell spelling dictionary is offered among many other languages as an update: Help menu > Wordfast Updates > Additional Dictionaries > Select whatever dictionaries you prefer.

I see updating doesn't work in DEMO mode. This makes me wonder... does Hun-spell spell-checking work in DEMO mode at all?

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: empty
Yasmin Moslem
Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
English to Arabic
Hun-spell spell-checking works in the DEMO mode Oct 10, 2010

Samuel Murray wrote:

... does Hun-spell spell-checking work in DEMO mode at all?

Dear Samuel,

Yes, it is. Actually, all the features of WFP works in the demo mode except the Remote TM and TM Administration; add to this the regular limitation of 500 TUs per TM.

---
Best regards,
Yasmin Moslem

Wordfast Support Team
www.wordfast.com | www.wordfast.net

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 18:14
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Very useful advice Sep 13, 2016

Today with WFP 3, I had again the dilemma. I don't have the original file, only the txml-file. Bilingual export resulted in a completely useless mess.
So I googled and found this thread. I did as Samuel told and printed the Word file on paper and found some errors by reading the print.

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to English
Bilingual review Sep 13, 2016

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

Today with WFP 3, I had again the dilemma. I don't have the original file, only the txml-file. Bilingual export resulted in a completely useless mess.
So I googled and found this thread. I did as Samuel told and printed the Word file on paper and found some errors by reading the print.

Hi Heinrich,

What do you mean by a completely useless mess? Did you use the Bilingual Review feature from the PM Perspective? Please report this using the Help menu so developers can investigate if there is a bug or improvements need to be made. Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,
John

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to spellcheck in WFP via export

Translation news related to Wordfast

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »