trick 4 working in a fixed row height table w/ sm font? can't see target seg!
Thread poster: Lesley Jackson

Lesley Jackson  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:51
Spanish to English
Oct 9, 2010

Hello. Anyone know a trick for working with WF in a table with size 5 font? Can't see target segment... can't see what I'm typing. Sometimes can't see source segment either (but I know it's open). This is a very tightly formatted brochure, all fine print, and all the tables are fixed row height. It's a .DOC file, Word 2000, Windows XP, WF 5.53 (anything else?). Many thanks!

[Edited at 2010-10-09 17:34 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Piotr Wargan  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 23:51
English to Polish
+ ...
Paragraph spacing could be the answer. Oct 9, 2010

Hello,

I have had this problem too

A possible remedy (worked well in most cases) could be to change the paragraph spacing (line spacing) to a very small one. The distance between text rows will shrink and the target row should appear - some experimenting may be necessary.

Bye,

Piotr

[Edited at 2010-10-09 18:02 GMT]

William [Bill] Gray  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2006)
English
+ ...
Change the row height settings.... Oct 9, 2010

I usually reset the row height to "at least", then any extra text expands the row so that I can see the segment. Then afterwards go back and change to "exactly" or whatever your version calls it. And while working on the text, I increase the view to about 200% or more, which makes 5point look like 10 or 12.

But make sure you keep a copy of the original, so that you can check the heights again on the final review. And make sure you don't change the height measurement itself, only the "at least" should be changed, and the percentage view.

Best of luck....

United States
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
I figured it out! Change table properties in my working doc... Oct 9, 2010

Thanks, Piotr... you helped my thinking. I realized I could just change the table properties so row height is not fixed. Now the cells accommodate the WF segs and I can see what I'm typing! Thought of this before but was hesitant to mess with formatting. But it's just a matter of going back to the (untouched) source doc after cleanup, checking the properties for each table row, and resetting them in the translation doc. A little extra time... but no more than translating the tables outside WF would take. And the tables appear to be pretty uniform. Plus, this will leave me with an intact TM for the project. I think this should work. Live and learn!

United States
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Bill... glad for the confirmation Oct 9, 2010

Didn't see your post before sending mine. Yes, I *always* keep an untouched copy of the source doc LJ

Piotr Wargan  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Good to meet other WF users Oct 9, 2010

in the Trados dominated world

Good luck with these tables

Bye, bye

Piotr

xxxNMR
France
French to Dutch
+ ...
Maybe the client doesn't care? Oct 9, 2010

Lesley Jackson wrote:

But it's just a matter of going back to the (untouched) source doc after cleanup, checking the properties for each table row, and resetting them in the translation doc. A little extra time... but no more than translating the tables outside WF would take.

Maybe the client doesn't care, because the texts within the tables will be used in another application (a CMS, for instance)? This is the case, for instance, if you receive Excel files where you cannot see the whole cell. I now reformat the cells until I can see the whole text and can compare the source and the target columns, and didn't have any complaints yet.

Good luck.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

trick 4 working in a fixed row height table w/ sm font? can't see target seg!

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search