Thread poster: Samuel Murray

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 19:37
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Oct 10, 2010

Thanks to Yasmin for sending me an Afrikaans Hunspell module unasked-for, in response to some other threads here on the same topic.

I fiddled with the files and found that it may be possible to add a Hunspell dictionary to any WFP installation (on Windows) if you have only the Hunspell dictionary files (e.g. Firefox, Thunderbird or OpenOffice.org DIC and AFF files). I'm not sure if you can use MySpell or Ispell dictionary files in WFP -- someone will have to test it.

Of course, the best way to get a Hunspell module for your language is to (a) use the auto-update feature or (b) ask WFP Support for it, but since anyone can create a Hunspell dictionary, there may be times that you might want to add a non-standard one instead.

1. Navigate to C:\Program Files\Wordfast\plugins\
2. Find a folder in it named "org.gs4tr.editor.spellcheck.hunspell.dictionary.SOMETHING_2.0.0".
3. Make a copy of it and rename the copy to "org.gs4tr.editor.spellcheck.hunspell.dictionary.XY_ZA_2.0.0" (where XY_ZA is the language code of your Hunspell dictionary).
4. Now make some changes to some of the files:

4.1 Edit plugin.properties and change it to your language. In my case, I had to edit lines 1, 2 and 4. This file is ANSI but I've tested it with UTF8 (even with a BOM) and it still works.
4.2 Edit plugin.xml and change it to your language (these items refer to the actual Hunspell dictionary files that you're going to copy, so make sure they have the same name). In my case, I had to edit lines 7 and 8. This file is ANSI but I've tested it with UTF8 (even with a BOM) and it still works.
4.3 Edit Manifest.mf and change it to your language. In my case, I had to edit just one line. Save this file as Latin-1 (*not* as UTF8 with BOM). In the original file, the line I had to edit was hard wrapped at character 70, but unwrapping it doesn't seem to affect WFP.
4.4 Delete whatever is in the dict folder and copy your language's DIC and AFF file into it. Be sure that your files have the same names as you specified in plugin.xml (also check hyphens versus underscores).

Some dictionaries can be found here:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/language-tools/ (just unzip the XPI file)
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/language-tools/ (just unzip the XPI file)
http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/en/dictionaries (just unzip the OXT file)
You only need the DIC and AFF file in the above downloads.

If anyone can show me how my explanation is incorrect, please do so.

[Edited at 2010-10-10 12:16 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Adding a Hunspell module to WFP

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search