Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 11:42
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Oct 15, 2010

G'day everyone

I have a TM from a WFC project and I'm using it in WFP. There is an exact matching segment, but WFP insists that it is a 97% match. The source text contains two ampersands. Would WFP and WFC add ampersands to the TM differently, or treat them differently?

Thanks
Samuel

Direct link Reply with quote

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 16:42
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Ampersand in HTML Oct 15, 2010

In HTML format source files, this '&' has a special code for HTML programming language. I understand that this gives your only 97% match.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
This is not HTML Oct 15, 2010

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.) wrote:
In HTML format source files, this '&' has a special code for HTML programming language. I understand that this gives your only 97% match.

Thanks, but my file is not HTML, and the file from which the TM was created is the same type of file as the file that I'm translating right now (it's MS Word, in fact). In the TM (created by WFC), the ampersand is recorded as simply "&". The updated TM, that was updated by WFP, the ampersand is still only "&".

Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
English to Arabic
Currently Yes! Oct 21, 2010

Samuel Murray wrote:

I have a TM from a WFC project and I'm using it in WFP. There is an exact matching segment, but WFP insists that it is a 97% match. The source text contains two ampersands. Would WFP and WFC add ampersands to the TM differently, or treat them differently?

Dear Samuel,

WF 5.61k stores ampersands as &'26; while WF 5.91i stores them as just & in the TM file.

WFP 2.4 also stores ampersands as &'26; (at least if the TU added by WFP itself).

So when a TM comes from WFC 5.91i, it give a fuzzy match unless one disables penalties on both "Non-literal" and "Tags".

I hope this clarifies what you had.

---
Best regards,
Yasmin Moslem

Wordfast Support Team
www.wordfast.com | www.wordfast.net

[Edited at 2010-10-21 00:40 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How does ampersand affect matching?

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search