"... is shared or not available" error message in Wordfast Classic - help needed
Thread poster: Oliver Pekelharing
Oliver Pekelharing
Oliver Pekelharing  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 05:22
Dutch to English
Oct 19, 2010

Having trouble with Trados TMs exported into latest Wordfast Classic version (Windows Vista, Office 2007, latest Wordfast, latest Trados). I receive Trados txt files from my clients, import them into Trados and them export them as tmx files. When I try to import the tmx files into Wordfast (by simply opening them), I get the message "... is shared or not available", after which Wordfast and/or Word completely crash. The TMs work fine in Trados, are not "shared" or "unavailable" as far as I am aw... See more
Having trouble with Trados TMs exported into latest Wordfast Classic version (Windows Vista, Office 2007, latest Wordfast, latest Trados). I receive Trados txt files from my clients, import them into Trados and them export them as tmx files. When I try to import the tmx files into Wordfast (by simply opening them), I get the message "... is shared or not available", after which Wordfast and/or Word completely crash. The TMs work fine in Trados, are not "shared" or "unavailable" as far as I am aware... any help appreciated.

[Edited at 2010-10-19 14:45 GMT]
Collapse

Dragomir Kovacevic
Dragomir Kovacevic  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to Serbian
+ ...
read-only or even more than that Oct 19, 2010

read-only or even more than that?
D

Olly Pekelharing wrote:

Having trouble with Trados TMs exported into latest Wordfast Classic version (Windows Vista, Office 2007, latest Wordfast, latest Trados). I receive Trados txt files from my clients, import them into Trados and them export them as tmx files. When I try to import the tmx files into Wordfast (by simply opening them), I get the message "... is shared or not available", after which Wordfast and/or Word completely crash. The TMs work fine in Trados, are not "shared" or "unavailable" as far as I am aware... any help appreciated.

[Edited at 2010-10-19 14:45 GMT]

Oliver Pekelharing
Netherlands
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
Read-only Oct 19, 2010

I don't understand your reply. How does a TM become read-only during conversion from Trados txt-tmx-Wordfast txt? I've converted many such Trados TMs before, this problem has popped up since installing the latest version of Wordfast Classic.

Yasmin Moslem
Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
English to Arabic
Share TM option Oct 19, 2010

Olly Pekelharing wrote:

I get the message "... is shared or not available"

Dear Olly,

Could you please have a look at the TM tab; can you see the checkbox "Share TM via LAN" ticked? If yes, please untick it and save the settings.

---
Best regards,
Yasmin Moslem

Wordfast Support Team
www.wordfast.com | www.wordfast.net

Oliver Pekelharing
Netherlands
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
Checkbox Oct 19, 2010

Hi Yasmin,

I don't see the checkbox you mention in the TM tab. The TM I was having problems with now works after I tried loading it again, however I tried to load a previous tmx that was giving me trouble and it still comes up with the same error message, each time at exactly 61% during the loading process.

Oliver Pekelharing
Netherlands
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
Wordfast Pro does it Oct 19, 2010

I tried importing the problem tmx in Wordfast Pro, and it worked. It did come up with a message about the tmx containing tabulations. Is that why Wordfast Classic couldn't convert it?

Yasmin Moslem
Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
English to Arabic
Olifant Oct 19, 2010

Olly Pekelharing wrote:

I tried importing the problem tmx in Wordfast Pro, and it worked. It did come up with a message about the tmx containing tabulations. Is that why Wordfast Classic couldn't convert it?

You can try cleaning the TMX in Olifant:

http://okapi.sourceforge.net/downloads.html

- File > Open to select the WF TM
- Edit > Select All
- Entries > Remove Codes > Remove both TMX tags and their content > OK
- Save as > Wordfast TM (.*txt)

I hope this helps.

Yasmin

Oliver Pekelharing
Netherlands
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
"is shared or not available" error message is persistent Jan 19, 2011

I just wanted to record here, hopefully for the eyes of Wordfast support staff, that the problem described in this post still occurs persistently, always with large Trados TM exports. Thankfully the free Olifant application has no trouble dealing with them (many thanks for the tip Yasmin), but shouldn't Wordfast be able to fix this tenacious bug themselves?

Regards,

Olly

David Daduč
David Daduč
Czech Republic
English to Czech
Would like to see the TMX file Jan 19, 2011

Olly, if possible, zip the the TMX file and send it to sales (at) wordfast.net. I'll test it here and advise the developer if I can replicate the problem.

Many thanks,
David

Oliver Pekelharing
Netherlands
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
Re: would like to see tmx file Jan 20, 2011

Hi David,

Thanks. I've asked the client involved if its OK to send one of their TMs (in tmx format) for this purpose.

Olly

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"... is shared or not available" error message in Wordfast Classic - help needed

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »