Thread poster: Lianne van de Ven

Lianne van de Ven  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:08
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Oct 20, 2010

I use wf classic as well as pro. It happens regularly that halfway through a text I change my mind about how to translate a word. What is the best way to update my translation and TM with the new word?

It would be something similar to using find & replace in word, and I would want to review each individual case (no need for automatic update), but working within word (WF classic), this procedure does not apply the changes to the TM.

There is a function "TM lookup" in both classic and Pro. Classic lets you edit the TM by using this function and then double clicking on the segment in the TM window, after which it can be edited. Upon closing (or saving) the TM gets updated. It's not as easy as I wish it was (imaging having to update/replace 30 or worse, 300 words?), but it works.

How does this work with Pro?

Thanks.
Lianne

Direct link Reply with quote

Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 12:08
English to Arabic
There is an easier way for updating the TM. Oct 21, 2010

Dear Lianne,

Lianne Van De Ven wrote:

I use wf classic as well as pro. It happens regularly that halfway through a text I change my mind about how to translate a word. What is the best way to update my translation and TM with the new word?

It would be something similar to using find & replace in word, and I would want to review each individual case (no need for automatic update), but working within word (WF classic), this procedure does not apply the changes to the TM.

Find/Replace is a good idea. Just like in MS Word, in Wordfast Pro, it is Ctrl+H or Edit > Find/Replace.

After you replace whatever you want to replace in Wordfast Pro, just press Alt+End or click the toolbar button "Commit to TM" to update the TM with the new changes.

Likewise, in Wordfast Classic, you can click on the f-like button, go to "Tools" tab, and click "Cleanup" and answer affirmatively to the message asking if you want to update the TM. This KB article can tell you more about WFC Cleanup features. You can have a look at the second and the last ones:
http://www.wordfast.net/?kb=122-27

So, that is how you update the TM in one step.

I hope this helps. If you have any further questions, please let me know.

---
Best regards,
Yasmin Moslem

Wordfast Support Team
www.wordfast.com | www.wordfast.net

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Find & replace/update TM in Pro

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search