Thread poster: Philippe Martineau
Philippe Martineau
Hong Kong
Local time: 11:56
English to French
+ ...
Oct 21, 2010

Dear all,

I am very new to WF and your help would be very much appreciated.

I have started freelancing for a translating agency who has asked me to download version 5.0 of WF, which I have done successfully. Meaning a new toolbar is now showing inside MS Word. That is all I have done. I have not downloaded or installed WF as such or paid for a licence, as I did want to try first. The translation agency also said no need to, as I can start translating using Wordfast via MS Word.

Thing is I am stuck. I have started receiving documents to translate, which I have to render through WF into a .txml file and have not managed to figure out how.

The documents to translate are to be found inside a zipped file containing:

a TM file with the .txt extension
a source document with a .doc extension
a TXML file to translate into with a .doc.txml extension

I need your help in how to translate into the TXML file. I am confused by this. I can save the TM and WF retrieves the source file most of the time, although sometimes it does not and this confuses me even more. But then I do not know what to do. I have searched different forums but the answer to this question is not clearly answered. One posted a link to convert a .txml into a word document but with no avail.

Many thanks in advance

Phil

Direct link Reply with quote

Gabriela Daniela Ardeleanu  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 05:56
Member (2009)
English to French
+ ...
Wordfast Anywhere Oct 21, 2010

Try Wordfast Anywhere: www.freetm.com. This is an online translation environment where you an import/export your TM as well as .txml files.

Philippe Martineau
Hong Kong
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
UN GRAND MERCI Oct 21, 2010

Bonjour Gabriela,

Wow. I am speechless. You saved my life

Do not you think that the agency could have explained that...

Have a good day

With my very best regards

Philippe

Krzysztof Kajetanowicz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 04:56
English to Polish
+ ...
WF PRO Oct 21, 2010

1. A .txml file is a bilingual file. You don't need both the source .doc and the .txml. The source text is already in the .txml file.

2. You cannot translate a .txml file in MS Word (using WF Classic - the Word toolbar).

3. Maybe you're unaware that there are two very different Wordfast applications. You've downloaded WF Classic (the Word toolbar), whereas what you need is WF PRO. AFAIK both have very functional demo versions, which should suit you just fine. In fact, it seems you've already downloaded WF Classic. You need the other one, a standalone application.

4. When you open a Word file in PRO, a bilingual .txml file is automatically created.

5. However, since you were provided with a .txml file by the client, you can skip Step 4 and only use the .doc for reference (should you need to).

6. Once you're done with the translation, you can provide the client with the .txml file.

7. Based on what the client said, they'll probably be fine with a bilingual Word file generated through a WF Classic translation (with no need to use the .txml file).

[Edited at 2010-10-21 09:19 GMT]

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 10:56
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Your client Oct 21, 2010

I guess I know the client of your job. The instructions are rather confusing unless you are familiar with WordFast Classic and WordFast Pro. In this job, you translate *.txml file with WFP and TM, and read *.doc as reference for your layout etc. Send back the *.txml file only [unless instructed otherwise].

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Philippe Martineau
Hong Kong
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Oct 21, 2010

Indeed I have downloaded WF Classic. Also, I have noticed very recently through blogs and forums that there are two versions of WF. I will check that.

Much appreciated

Philippe

Philippe Martineau
Hong Kong
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you. Oct 21, 2010

I understand better now

Thanks a lot

Philippe

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Which WF for TXML Oct 21, 2010

Philippe Martineau wrote:
I have started freelancing for a translating agency who has asked me to download version 5.0 of WF... I have started receiving documents to translate, which I have to render through WF into a .txml file and have not managed to figure out how.

The agency is mistaken in their belief that Wordfast 5.0 (WFC, aka Wordfast Classic) can translate a TXML file.

To translate a TXML file, you need Wordfast "Pro" (WFP), currently version 2.4.0.1. Certain highly experienced users can use WFC to translate TXML files, but it is not something that beginners should attempt. For TXML, you need WFP. WFP doesn't install a toolbar in MS Word either.

You need WFP (112 MB large):
http://wordfast.com/store_download.html

The WFP user group is here:
WF_PRO-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

[Edited at 2010-10-21 10:09 GMT]

Philippe Martineau
Hong Kong
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Oct 21, 2010

I will look into this. Much appreciated

Philippe

Samuel Murray wrote:

I have started freelancing for a translating agency who has asked me to download version 5.0 of WF... I have started receiving documents to translate, which I have to render through WF into a .txml file and have not managed to figure out how.

The agency is mistaken in their belief that Wordfast 5.0 (WFC, aka Wordfast Classic) can translate a TXML file.

To translate a TXML file, you need Wordfast "Pro" (WFP), currently version 2.4.0.1. Certain highly experienced users can use WFC to translate TXML files, but it is not something that beginners should attempt. For TXML, you need WFP. WFP doesn't install a toolbar in MS Word either.

Jeff Allen  Identity Verified
France
Multiplelanguages
+ ...
WF and TXML files Oct 21, 2010

Yes, I gave a detailed overview in the forums (do an advanced search on keyword txml with my username mtpostediting) on the exactly which TM systems and TMS systems support the specific TXML format.

Like Samuel said, only Wordfast Pro (not the classic edition up to version 5x) is the WF that supports tmxl format.

Jeff

Philippe Martineau
Hong Kong
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Oct 21, 2010

Samuel Murray wrote:

all right thank you

philippe

Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
German to Dutch
+ ...
TXML in Wordfast Classic Oct 21, 2010

Hi Philippe,

If you are a registered Wordfast user you should download Wordfast Pro now it's still free. TXML is meant to be translated with WFP but you can open a TXML file in Word and start a WFC session. WFC will tag the file for use with WFC and will generate a bilingual TXML file at cleanup.

This is a beta feature only available in current WFC (beta?) builds.

Cheers,
Gerard

Philippe Martineau
Hong Kong
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Oct 22, 2010

Ok i will look into that

Philippe

Gerard de Noord wrote:

Hi Philippe,

If you are a registered Wordfast user you should download Wordfast Pro now it's still free. TXML is meant to be translated with WFP but you can open a TXML file in Word and start a WFC session. WFC will tag the file for use with WFC and will generate a bilingual TXML file at cleanup.

This is a beta feature only available in current WFC (beta?) builds.

Cheers,
Gerard

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help with Wordfast / translation into txml needed

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search