Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:41
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 23, 2010

Hello

Does anyone know what the purpose of the Garbage Collector and Heap Size in WFP are for.

I tried clicking on Garbage Collector and it reduces the size of the heal but as I don't really know what the heap is I don't know what this does.

I tried looking in the WFP help manula but found no reference at all. I imagine it has something to do with memory but can't figure out what its for

Direct link Reply with quote

Neil Coffey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:41
French to English
+ ...
Programming stuff Oct 23, 2010

Alex Lago wrote:
Does anyone know what the purpose of the Garbage Collector and Heap Size in WFP are for.

These are programming terms. The "heap" is basically the set of memory set aside for a program. The "garbage collector" is the system that effectively makes sure that areas of the heap no longer in use are available for re-use. (It "cleans up" objects in memory that are no longer in use, if that makes any sense.)

I can't speak for Wordfast, but normally these are things that users shouldn't have to worry about.

[Edited at 2010-10-23 12:05 GMT]

bohy  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 20:41
English to French
+ ...
I agree with Neil Oct 23, 2010

The garbage collector runs once in a while, in the background. Because it may be resource-intensive, it's not run too often... WordFast developers may have thought of this "manual" way to solve a case where there is a performance issue, but the garbage collector has not started yet.
Running it without precise reason will not do much arm... mainly slow down your machine, possibly.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Garbage Collector and Heap Size

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search