Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:28
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 23, 2010

Hello

Does anyone know what the purpose of the Garbage Collector and Heap Size in WFP are for.

I tried clicking on Garbage Collector and it reduces the size of the heal but as I don't really know what the heap is I don't know what this does.

I tried looking in the WFP help manula but found no reference at all. I imagine it has something to do with memory but can't figure out what its for

Neil Coffey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:28
French to English
+ ...
Programming stuff Oct 23, 2010

Alex Lago wrote:
Does anyone know what the purpose of the Garbage Collector and Heap Size in WFP are for.

These are programming terms. The "heap" is basically the set of memory set aside for a program. The "garbage collector" is the system that effectively makes sure that areas of the heap no longer in use are available for re-use. (It "cleans up" objects in memory that are no longer in use, if that makes any sense.)

I can't speak for Wordfast, but normally these are things that users shouldn't have to worry about.

[Edited at 2010-10-23 12:05 GMT]

Anne Bohy  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 09:28
English to French
I agree with Neil Oct 23, 2010

The garbage collector runs once in a while, in the background. Because it may be resource-intensive, it's not run too often... WordFast developers may have thought of this "manual" way to solve a case where there is a performance issue, but the garbage collector has not started yet.
Running it without precise reason will not do much arm... mainly slow down your machine, possibly.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Garbage Collector and Heap Size

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search