How to make source texts more translation memory friendly?
Thread poster: Jia Deng
Nov 23, 2010

When I analysed a source text, which is a weather forecast, in a empty translation memory, the total repetitions were 22, which were between 0%--74%. As we know, if the translation memory is empty, the source text is compared with itself. Thus, in the weather forecast I analysed, there are 22 repetitions. I am required to make the repetitions more. I edited the source text. I used the same words or even the same sentence patterns in different places. I had thought it would make a difference. However, when I analysed the weather forecast which I edited, the total repetitions were still 22. What should I do in order to make the repetitions more, or make the source text more translation memory friendly ? Thank you very much .

Direct link Reply with quote

Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 00:42
English to Arabic
Repetitions Dec 4, 2010

Jia Deng wrote:

I edited the source text. I used the same words or even the same sentence patterns in different places. I had thought it would make a difference. However, when I analysed the weather forecast which I edited, the total repetitions were still 22.

Dear Jia,

What do you mean by repetitions?

A repetition means that there are two sentences EXACTLY the same. Any difference in word order or even punctuation could exclude a segment from being a repetition.

This does not mean that you will not have matches during translation. This is another point.

Jia Deng wrote:
When I analysed a source text, which is a weather forecast, in a empty translation memory, the total repetitions were 22, which were between 0%--74%.

No. Repetitions total is completely different from 0%--74% total; the former should be 100% Exact matches when you complete the translation while the latter will offer "No Matches". But if you mean that they are part of 0%--74%, you are right because 100% matches stored in the TM currently selected during the Analysis process will not be counted as Repetitions.

I suggest you start translation and you should get enough matches if you see that there are many similarities in your file. You can lower the Fuzzy Match Threshold (Edit menu > Preferences > Translation Memory > Fuzzy Match Threshold > 40) to get more matches, if possible.

You can also activate Global Auto-Propagation to handle repetitions faster.

I hope this helps. If you have any further questions, please let me know.

---
Best regards,
Yasmin Moslem

Wordfast Support Team
www.wordfast.com | www.wordfast.net

Jia Deng

TOPIC STARTER
Thank you very much. Dec 6, 2010

Thank you very much.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to make source texts more translation memory friendly?

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search