https://www.proz.com/forum/wordfast_support/186806-wordfast_pro_wont_import_a_tmx_file.html

Wordfast Pro won't import a TMX file
Thread poster: Alain Alameddine
Alain Alameddine
Alain Alameddine  Identity Verified
Lebanon
Local time: 03:30
Member (2009)
English to French
+ ...
Dec 3, 2010

Hello,

I have TMX translation memory which I'd like to use in Wordfast Pro.

When I go to Translation Memory > New/Select TM / Translation Memory / Local, and I click on Open / Browse, Wordfast Pro won't recognize the TMX file.

I tried opening it in Wordfast Classic. Wordfast Classic "reorganized it", and created two ITX files and one TXT file. Wordfast Pro now recognizes the TXT file, but when I try to open it, it gives me a "TM connection error".
... See more
Hello,

When I go to Translation Memory > New/Select TM / Translation Memory / Local, and I click on Open / Browse, Wordfast Pro won't recognize the TMX file.

I tried opening it in Wordfast Classic. Wordfast Classic "reorganized it", and created two ITX files and one TXT file. Wordfast Pro now recognizes the TXT file, but when I try to open it, it gives me a "TM connection error".

Any advice?

Alain
Collapse

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 07:30
English to Thai
+ ...
WFP version? Dec 3, 2010

In certain WFC versions, you need to key-in full TM file name e.g. "et.tmx" for WFC to recognize the file. Why not try the same (always adding *.tmx file extension)? WFP fully supports TMX format now.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Arianne Farah
Arianne Farah  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 20:30
Member (2008)
English to French
My trick is to always use Olifant first Dec 3, 2010

(If you don't know the software just google "olifant" - it's free and easy to use)

I open the .tmx in Olifant and then export as a Wordfast Pro .txt file.

If you're trying to update an existing Wordfast .txt file, open it first then import the .tmx file (don't forget to save the updated .txt after!).

Voilà!

Now is someone could fix it so that a 1 GB "master" Wordfast TM could be used without taking 20 seconds per cell and 5 minutes per concord
... See more
(If you don't know the software just google "olifant" - it's free and easy to use)

I open the .tmx in Olifant and then export as a Wordfast Pro .txt file.

If you're trying to update an existing Wordfast .txt file, open it first then import the .tmx file (don't forget to save the updated .txt after!).

Voilà!

Now is someone could fix it so that a 1 GB "master" Wordfast TM could be used without taking 20 seconds per cell and 5 minutes per concordance search, I would be a happy camper, so a word to the wise it to be careful of large memories in Wordfast (not sure how big the .tmx is you're trying to use - size might be your problem)
Collapse

Yasmin Moslem
Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 02:30
English to Arabic
TMX file, please! Dec 5, 2010

Alain Alameddine wrote:

Dear Alain,

If you still have problems, could you please send me the TMX to the following email address to check and advise you. Thanks in advance!

support [at] wordfast.com

---
Best regards,
Yasmin Moslem

Wordfast Support Team
www.wordfast.com | www.wordfast.net

larserik
larserik  Identity Verified
Sweden
Albanian to Swedish
Similar problem solved with WFC Jan 1, 2011

Today I tried WFPro for the first time. I wanted to use an old Trados TMX 1.4 b export file. WFPro told me it could not use it because of (a lot of) tabular content and one (!) irregular character. Recommendation: fix the errors and try again, no hint about the way to fix them.

I was astonished that WFPro was not capable of skipping the "bad" TUs, since it was capable of identifying them.

After some trial and error I found the simple solution was to open/convert the TMX
... See more
Today I tried WFPro for the first time. I wanted to use an old Trados TMX 1.4 b export file. WFPro told me it could not use it because of (a lot of) tabular content and one (!) irregular character. Recommendation: fix the errors and try again, no hint about the way to fix them.

I was astonished that WFPro was not capable of skipping the "bad" TUs, since it was capable of identifying them.

After some trial and error I found the simple solution was to open/convert the TMX file in WFC and then use Wordfast's converted *.txt TM.
Collapse

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
irregularities in TMX Jan 2, 2011

lars-erik wrote:

one (!) irregular character...
I was astonished that WFPro was not capable of skipping the "bad" TUs, since it was capable of identifying them

That's a valid complaint. Really, any half decent software shoud print the offending section on the screen and prompt you to 1) skip the TUs in question or 2) fix the errors and restart the import. If there are few errors (

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast Pro won't import a TMX file

Translation news related to Wordfast

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »