Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:58
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Dec 3, 2010

Hi,

I've got myself in a bit of a mess and would appreciate some help. I've just changed computers and have at the same time changed to Word 2007; Windows 7; and of course I've reloaded Wf Classic. I don't use Trados or remote TMs or anything like that - I just work with my own Wf TMs.

Wordfast is quite happy with the current TM I'm using and the glossaries etc. However, it's no longer happy with my BTM, which is a merging of different TMs that I haven't updated for a while (it's being used in read-only mode) and can't remember how it was originally created.

When I opened it in Bloc-notes, I found many duplicated TUs (that may or may not be a problem, I don't know). The real problem is that there was no header at the top of the file. Instead, I found two headers near the bottom.

I tried moving the two headers to the top: no change.

I tried deleting one of the headers, leaving the one that looked most "normal": no change.

I think there's info in the header about the number of TUs so I guess I need to do something a bit more sophisticated to sort it out. But what?

Please help if you can, in the simplest terms possible as I'm not that computer literate.

TIA

Direct link Reply with quote

SPI-Trad
Local time: 12:58
Czech to French
+ ...
Recreate it Dec 3, 2010

I would open it in excel, erase the headers (if any), save the file as "Texte (séparateur: tabulation)" with a new file name, then re-open it and reorganise it from the WF interface
I hope it will work for you

John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:58
Member (2008)
French to English
Olifant TM editor Dec 3, 2010

You can rebuild your Wordfast Classic TM using Olifant (free).

Download and install Olifant from http://okapi.sourceforge.net/.

You chould be able to open the TM in Olifant directly and resave it as a Wordfast TM.

If it is too badly damaged, you can create a new, blank WF TM in Olifant, then import the old one as a Tab-delimited text file (one of the file options in the Import dialog box).

Delete the header line (since Olifant will create a new one), and make sure the columns are identified correctly in the import box.

Then you should then be able to save the file as a WF .txt TM which should open in WF.

To be safe, create a copy of your TM and work on the copy.

Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, John Dec 3, 2010

I'll see if I can do all that. It sounds straightforward enough but these things have a habit of going wrong when I touch them, much to the despair of my programmer son.

The problem is that I never know how I got into these muddles in the first place!

I'll let you know if I have any more problems. Thanks again in the meantime.

Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks - all sorted Dec 4, 2010

Unfortunately, nothing worked, but Olifant (which I didn't entirely understand, I have to say) was quite clear on the fact that it was in a really bad state: it gave about 2000 identical errors complaining about negative index values. Don't know exactly what that meant but it clearly wasn't a recoverable situation (not by me, at any rate).

So, I recreated the TM and it works fine now. If only I knew what went wrong, when!

Thanks again for the help.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Error: "xxxx.txt is not a Wordfast TM"

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search