Wordfast Classic - merging or joining segments
Thread poster: Mike (de Oliveira) Brady

Mike (de Oliveira) Brady  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Portuguese to English
Dec 7, 2010

I generally work in Wordfast Pro, but I have a client who prefers to receive uncleaned Wordfast Classic documents.

This client has asked me to join or merge some translation segments and says this can be done using ALT -> PAGEDOWN.

As I use a Mac, I have no dedicated page down key.

I've found no key combination that merges or joins segments, nor any command in the toolbar to do this. A search of the Wordfast site does not give any answers.

Does anyone know if and how this can be done?

Update: My client has just explained that he prefers Wordfast Classic because it is possible to edit the source text in this. I can't see that this is possible with Wordfast Pro. Does anyone know?

[Edited at 2010-12-07 10:24 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

B D Finch  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 15:03
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Toolbar Dec 7, 2010

The plus sign button in the Wordfast toolbar is for joining segments. However, I find that often neither this nor the key option works and the only way to join recalcitrant segments is to unsegment and then select them and force segmentation.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 15:03
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@poor Mac user :-) Dec 7, 2010

Mike (de Oliveira) Brady wrote:
This client has asked me to join or merge some translation segments and says this can be done using ALT -> PAGEDOWN.

I use Windows, and on Windows, there is not only a Wordfast toolbar in MS Word but also a Wordfast file menu. The shortcuts are listed in the Wordfast file menu. The shortcuts are also listed in the Wordfast user manual, which is a separate download (it is one large MS Word file, so it's easy to search for something in it).

My client has just explained that he prefers Wordfast Classic because it is possible to edit the source text in this. I can't see that this is possible with Wordfast Pro. Does anyone know?

I'm not sure if it is possible in WFP to split and merge segments. Even if it is, it aint possible to make other changes to the source text (which you can do in WFP).

I agree BD Finch that it is often easier to merge segments manually (either by pressing Alt+Del and deleting the fullstop or whatever character that caused the segment split, or by pressing Alt+Del, then selecting the entire text you want in a single segment, and then pressing Alt+Shift+Down (not sure what the shortcut in Mac would be)).

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 20:03
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Mac user Dec 7, 2010

I stop using MS Word +Mac for some years but I understand that WFC macros still work in Mac + MS Word. Segment split and join are the popular commands I am enjoying with WFC. They can force segmentation locations as I like: not found in Trados, Deja Vue, SDLX etc. The WFC manual (*.doc format) should explain about this clearly.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 16:03
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Empty segments first Dec 7, 2010

If the segments are pre-translated, I would empty them first (open segment and press Ctrl-Alt+X and close) and then use forced segmentation.
Wordfast Classic is more versatile in cases one has to make changes to the file.
How about using pc-keyboard with your Mac?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast Classic - merging or joining segments

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search