Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:49
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Dec 11, 2010

Hello there,

It's possible that my question has been addressed very recently here, but it's about Wordfast use on a Mac, and I don't want to hijack it:
http://www.proz.com/forum/wordfast_support/187051-wordfast_classic_merging_or_joining_segments.html

I'm using Wordfast Classic (latest release, whatever that is) on Windows 7 with Word 2007, translating a 24,000 word text. Now that I'm half-way through I realise that the staccato style of writing (that I didn't like but lived with at the outset) has to go - it just doesn't work.

I know how to expand segments as I get to them, but how do I do the same thing and join two segments when I've already translated them?

In fact, I find the entire proofreading stage a bit confusing. Looking back over my TM, I seem to have thousands of very similar TUs, presumably caused by proofreading changes. Should I be preventing this plethora of TUs, and if so, how?

Direct link Reply with quote

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 12:49
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Can't do it Dec 11, 2010

Sheila Wilson wrote:
I know how to expand segments as I get to them, but how do I do the same thing and join two segments when I've already translated them?

Open the second segment and then kill it (Alt+Delete). Then open the first segment and expand it.

Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Samuel Dec 11, 2010

That sounds stressful. The last thing I want to do now is start deleting what I've done, when all it needs is a bit of "tweaking".

Anyway, I'll do as you suggest. Thanks for the help.

Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
if you want to make major changes... Dec 11, 2010

Perhaps start over with a fresh copy of your source, and see if you like the paragraph segmentation option. You will still be able to use your TM with context search, and just paste in/modify your translations as you go (there is a handy shortcut for that, can't remember it at the moment, one of the F keys...)

Or, just clean up a copy of your doc and tweak away, then do an alignment to create a new TM the way you want it to be, and continue on using your new TM for the second half of the translation.

Don't worry about the multiple entries in your TM, they should go away when you reorganize, well - usually that works!

Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Lori Dec 12, 2010

Hello, Lori, and thanks for your input.

How I envy your ability to really master the technology. I know I'll never be more than a basic user of Wordfast as I'm very wary of trying any of the features that aren't essential, particularly on the biggest single text I've ever handled.

I don't think I want to launch into alignment at the moment as I've heard that can take a long time even if you know what you're doing - and I most certainly don't!

Your other suggestion to "start over" worries me, having spent a lot of time during the last 3 weeks on this project! However, I think I will look into the possibility of using paragraph segmentation. That might work well in this case as there are an awful lot of paragraph markers in it - not your usual report-type 10-line paragraphs.

Thanks for that tip.

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 13:49
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Refresh your TM Dec 12, 2010

I do not quite understand your problem. What do you mean with proofreading? First you should translate all, then proofread (hide the source text using ctrl+comma pressed twice. When you have made the changes, you save the doc, clean up with updating the TM and that's it. The translation will be saved as bak-file, and you can do more corrections and clean up again.
If you do corrections when still translating, use alt+up to get to the corrected segment (will have red borders) and press alt+down. The TM will update itself every time you close a segment.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Heinrich Dec 12, 2010

Heinrich Pesch wrote:
I do not quite understand your problem. What do you mean with proofreading? First you should translate all, then proofread.

Well, theoretically it is better not to translate all before doing the proofreading. It is better to proofread after every X number of segments, and not after all segments have been translated. This ensures that the TM matches you get later in the file are from proofread text (and hence potentially of higher quality). In the case of the OP, she wants to proofread the first half of the job before continuing to the second half of the job.

Her problem (if I understand correctly) is that she wants to merge segments during the proofreading stage... something which isn't possible in WFC. Alignment would be a good way to do it. My suggested method of desegmenting and then merging is another way, but then one of the two merged sentences are lost.

Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
alignment Dec 13, 2010

Sheila, depending on the extent of changes you need to make, and the usefulness of having those changes recorded in your TM (will you be reusing segments?), it may be faster to use Samuel's suggestion. I don't know how pressed for time you are, and it really depends on how repetitive the text is.

The easiest way to make your changes would be on a clean copy - but then you are left with the problem of getting the changes back into your TM, assuming you really need them in your TM.

I don't find alignment to be particularly time consuming, especially on a text that has already been segmented with WFC. Some issues can cause alignment to be more intensive/long, especially weird formatting and things like bullet points and colons. You might wish to attempt doing it on just a small portion of your text, that will help you to evaluate how much time it would take, compared to how much time the other options would take...

Also wanted to comment on Samuel's post, when you ALT-delete a segment, it's not actually "lost", it is still recorded in the TM, but you would have to copy/paste it from the TM into your translation if you want to reuse it (or it might show up as a fuzzy).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Making proofreading changes in WordFast Classic

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search