Thread poster: Karen Chalmers

Karen Chalmers  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:12
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
Dec 12, 2010

Hello,

Can anyone help a Wordfast novice please?

I am working on a batch of bilingual documents with the two languages interspersed throughout.

I am having a problem with the agency who claim the word count is far lower than it is.

I am wondering if there's a way I can use Wordfast to count just the words I have translated?

I have only had Wordfast since earlier today, unfortunately I have already translated about 2000 words,which they claim is 350 words. If I could use it to count just the target language words in the documents, I would be able to check the originals for the work I have already done.

Any ideas?

Any help would be very gratefully received.

Direct link Reply with quote

Claire Cox
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Red ants Dec 12, 2010

Hi Karen,

If the English is in chunks of text throughout the document, you could go back to your original source file, go through the document and mark all English text with marching red ants (Format, Text Effects). Then in the Wordfast setup menu, under Segments tick "Mark marching red ants as untranslatable text". If you then analyse your source document, it should tell you how many words to be translated there are in total; it should completely ignore the English text in red ants. I use Word 2003, but I assume the red ants are still available in later editions of Word. If not you can use grey highlighting to the same effect under the WF Set-up Segments menu. Hope this helps!

Good luck,

Claire

Karen Chalmers  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Claire! Dec 12, 2010

Hi Claire, thanks for the advice, I think that may well be my best option.
The Source and Target texts are thoroughly mixed together so it's going to be quite time consuming. Maybe not worth it for the pay? They did it again today after amending my PO for yesterday (after 3 requests!), they gave me a strict deadline of tonight to complete 460 words, I stopped counting and working at 700 words after completing less than half of the files!
Not really sure what to do here, I think I need some advice on dealing with agencies!

Thanks again for the advice, I'm going to try it out now...

Claire Cox
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Unprofessional Dec 13, 2010

Hi Karen,

This agency sounds thoroughly unprofessional to me. Changing a PO after they've issued it just isn't on. I'd only agree to work for them again if you can agree on a word count first, as it sounds as though they're trying it on.

Good luck,

Claire

xxxchristela
On a clean text? Dec 13, 2010

Can you make a copy of the file and then clean it up? Then you'll have the number of words in the target text.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

word count in bilingual documents

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search