Word count difference between PPS and Wordfast
Thread poster: wiltom
wiltom
France
Local time: 12:40
French to English
Dec 13, 2010

Hello,

I am working on a rather large powerpoint document. In the properties section of powerpoint the word count is 9310 words, but when I do an analyze in Wordfast the word count is 12702 words!

I was hoping that someone could tell me where this (huge) difference comes from and if possible inform me of the best method to count words in these kind of documents.

Thank you.

Wiltom

Direct link Reply with quote

Claire Cox
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:40
French to English
+ ...
Properties not accurate Dec 13, 2010

Hi Wiltom,

The properties figure in PPT is not accurate and only serves as a guide because it doesn't include PPT notes or any text boxes or embedded texts or tables. The Wordfast analysis should include all the text boxes and notes but will not necessarily consider embedded text, so you need to aware of this when you quote.

A WF analysis is usually your best bet for counting the words, but I prefer to use target text if I can and invoice at the end so I know exactly what's included and what extras there have been.

All the best,

Claire

Annie Estéphan  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:40
Member (2010)
English to French
+ ...
test Dec 13, 2010

Hi,

You should do a small test, about 50 word that you write in both softwares and you will see which one is more accurate....

Hasta luego

TheTranslator86
Turkey
Local time: 13:40
English to Turkish
+ ...
agree .. and a question Dec 13, 2010

Yes, Claire is quite right. Softwares like Anycount do not count the ppt notes, text boxes etc, either. So CAT tools are the best. By the way, I could not find word count in "properties" section of PPT. For which version of Office is it available? Thanks.

wiltom
France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Dec 13, 2010

Thanks for all your replies, especially you Claire, I am going to base my quote on the WF wordcount, it does work out better for me! I have been caught out before with embedded text, but I haven't let it happen a second time!

sinanevcan, I am using Office 2010.

> File > Information

- Properties are shown on the right hand side of the page

- Click on 'Show all properties' to see the word count.

Hope this helps.

wiltom
France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Still confused Dec 13, 2010

Hello again,

As I previously stated in Powerpoint the wordcount is 9310 words, in Wordfast it is 12702 words. I converted the PPS to PDF and then to RTF and counted the words in Word which gave me a word count of 12789.

I'm a bit lost really. This document is for a new client, well, they may become a new client if they like my quote but the problem is I don't really know what to quote them.

Claire said earlier "I prefer to use target text if I can and invoice at the end so I know exactly what's included and what extras there have been", but to be honest I don't really know how to go about doing that, I have always stuck by my quotes even if I've lost out a bit, but with this document the differences are just too big.

I liked to hear how other people deal with this problem.

Wiltom

Claire Cox
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:40
French to English
+ ...
Well... Dec 13, 2010

Hi Wiltom,

Are there many tables and numbers in the PPT? Wordfast doesn't count tables of numbers as it skips those when translating. You'll need to assess whether these are numbers that need editing (13,4 to 13.4, etc.) or whether you can legitimately ignore them. If you've converted it from pdf as well, it could be that all the headers and footers which Word would only count once are being counted on each slide, so giving you a larger number. Given that from French to English you can usually expect the target count to be less than the source, I wouldn't worry too much about 87 words. If you quote based on the analysis, you should be there or thereabouts anyway. In saying that, I always charge a surcharge of 20% for Powerpoint files anyway, so you'd be covered for any shortfall. If I know there's lots of embedded text or for German -English where I know there's a large expansion factor, I'd charge on target count.

Hope this helps clarify the situation. The various word count methods always give slightly different results, so as long as you're in the right ball park, you really can't expect any more.

All the best,

Claire

wiltom
France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks again Claire Dec 14, 2010

Thanks again Claire.

It's nice to be able to find out how other translators operate.

Wiltom

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word count difference between PPS and Wordfast

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search