Is there a way re-creating a source text
Thread poster: Russell Jones

Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:25
Italian to English
Dec 29, 2010

Rather stupidly, I forgot to save a copy of the 13,000 word .docx source text which I had laboriously assembled from various sources and formatted myself prior to translating with WF Classic.

Now I realise I need it.

Is there any way of re-creating it without manually copying and pasting from the uncleaned version?

Most grateful for any advice.

Direct link Reply with quote

Egils Turks  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 14:25
English to Latvian
+ ...
Reverse source and target Dec 29, 2010

I have not done this but this is my idea:
1. Clean the unclean file.
2. Open Data editor; your TM shoul be visible.
3. Click Tools, open Special filters, choose Reverse source and target
4. Do automatic translation of the cleaned file using this reversed TM.
5. Clean the bilingual file again; you shoul get the initial source text, I think.

Maybe this is a long way but I don't know a shorter one.

xxxNMR
France
Local time: 13:25
French to Dutch
+ ...
2 ways Dec 29, 2010

1) On an uncleaned bilingual copy, you can do some manual Search&Replace sessions (replace non-hidden texts by nothing, etc.)

2) Another idea: open the TM, which is in text format, copy it into Excel, and then pick up the column of the source text. Copy this column into Word. You'll have the source text in a table format which you can leave as it is, or convert: Table into text.

Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:25
English to French
+ ...
Easy! Dec 29, 2010

Easy, that is, if you actually have the unclean version.

Then (first, make a copy, right?), with no segment open, click Alt+Delete.
Wordfast will prompt you with:

Alt+Delete is normally used on an *open* segment to restore (unsegment) it.
If you wish to UNSEGMENT the entire document (remove delimiters and TARGET text), press 'Yes', otherwise, press 'No'.
If you're not sure, press 'No', or 'Enter'.

Just clock on Yes, and your document is restored to the source text only.

Claire Cox
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Perhaps? Dec 29, 2010

Hi Russell,

I wonder if you could save a copy of the unclean file (just in case), then open a segment, and press Alt Delete twice. That normally asks you if you want to return the whole document to unsegmented text. I've never done it (normally pressed it twice by mistake!) but working on a copy file might give you the result you're after.

Good luck!

Claire

Aude Sylvain  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 13:25
English to French
+ ...
deleting the *non* hidden parts Dec 29, 2010

Hello Russell,

Another idea (hand-made!) to use as a last resort:

Since you still have the unclean document, can't you simply do a search/replace on Word, asking to delete all the non hidden parts (i.e. the target text)?

To search and replace the non hidden parts: Ctrl-H, then
- "search" box: "Plus" (to access the 'search options'), "Format" > "Font", check the "hidden" box and then redo the whole thing un-checking the "hidden" box. This should allow you to search the "not hidden" strings.
- leave the "replace by" box empty
You can then run the search and remplace feature.

You should be left with all the hidden (source) text, which you can convert into a non hidden text easily, and with the "ants", which you can delete using, here also, the search and replace feature.

Of course I would recommend to work on a copy of the unclean file!

United Kingdom
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank You Dec 30, 2010

Many thanks for all the advice.
I tried JL01's suggestion first as it appeared the simplest and it worked perfectly.

You've saved me a lot of time and I'm most grateful.

eesegura  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:25
Spanish to English
+ ...
Does it work differently on a laptop vs a tabletop pc? Dec 30, 2010

This posting intrigued me, as occasionally I have wished I could easily go back to the source text. I made a copy of an uncleaned doc to experiment with, but on my laptop pressing the Alt and Del keys does nothing unless I have a segment open, and then I can only restore that one segment back to the original text.

I have gotten into the habit of saving the untouched source text with -orig added to the doc title. Then I save a second copy with -wk added to the title. When I am ready to clean it, I save a third copy with -Eng or -Sp added. True, this makes for a lot of copies, but it works for me.

Still, it is good to know other ways of accomplishing these things. Even if I can only restore one segment at a time with Alt + Del, that is better than not knowing how to do it at all.

Happy New Year!

Liz

United Kingdom
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
To Liz Dec 30, 2010

Just a thought Liz.

Did you actually have WF open when you tried it?
If so (and this may be totally irrelevant) did you select the appropriate TM before clicking Alt+Delete?

Spanish to English
+ ...
I had the WF toolbar open Dec 30, 2010

Hi Russell,
Thanks for your reply. I did have the WF toolbar open inside my test doc, if that's what you mean. And I tried placing the cursor at various places, but WF still does nothing when I press Alt + Del, unless there is an open segment. That's why I wondered if it might be a laptop vs tabletop keyboard configuration issue. I have my laptop configured for International Keyboard, which allows me to hit ' (apostrophe) and a vowel to form a composite letter with an accent - é for example. This configuration may negate other keyboard options, such as some of the WF ones.

Anyway, I'm really glad you found the solution you needed! It is terribly frustrating to lose work.

Liz

Spanish to English
+ ...
Or maybe Dec 30, 2010

Maybe it's because my version of WF is several years old...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is there a way re-creating a source text

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search