Wordfast alignment software included in pro+classic package?
Thread poster: domron

domron  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:15
Italian to English
+ ...
Dec 31, 2010

Hi

I am last minute dithering whether to buy the reduced price wordfast pro+classic package.
Can anyone tell me if the translation alignment software for segmenting translations is included in the package (i have years of already translated material which I hope to use) ?

thanks

Dominic R. Italy

Direct link Reply with quote

Drew MacFadyen
SITE STAFF
Price increases in just a few hours Dec 31, 2010

domron, you can find some additional information about the plus tools here - http://www.wordfast.net/index.php?whichpage=knowledge&Task=view&questId=139&catId=27

I am not certain whether or not the plus tools are included, or if they are available at an additional charge (I think that they are free). The Wordfast TGB store item will be deactivated in a few hours, and the price difference of 170 euros is substantial and likely will save you more than any additional tools would cost.

Regards,

Drew

Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Dec 31, 2010

Drew MacFadyen wrote:

domron, you can find some additional information about the plus tools here - http://www.wordfast.net/index.php?whichpage=knowledge&Task=view&questId=139&catId=27

I am not certain whether or not the plus tools are included, or if they are available at an additional charge (I think that they are free). The Wordfast TGB store item will be deactivated in a few hours, and the price difference of 170 euros is substantial and likely will save you more than any additional tools would cost.

Regards,

Drew

Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Plustools ok for mac ? Dec 31, 2010

Drew MacFadyen wrote:

Regards,

Drew

Thanks for replying so rapidly
I use Mac OS 10.6.5.

I tried downloading plustools from the wordfast website but the operation wasn't successful
I know wordfast is mac compatible
Will submit a support request

Happy New Year

Dominic

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 06:15
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Plus Tools Jan 1, 2011

Plus tools for translation alignment is free of charge to download (without requirement to purchase the WC package), working on WordFast Classic+MS Word interface.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 01:15
English to Arabic
Wordfast Online Aligner Jan 5, 2011

domron wrote:

I use Mac OS 10.6.5.

I tried downloading plustools from the wordfast website but the operation wasn't successful
I know wordfast is mac compatible
Will submit a support request

Dear Dominic,

If you could not use PlusTools on you Mac for any reason, you can use Wordfast Online Aligner (fore free):

Log into your Wordfast Anywhere account (or create one for free if you did not do yet) and then select "Tools" > "Align your files".
http://www.freetm.com

The steps are very simple and they are illustrated here:
http://www.screencast.com/t/ZWI0MzdjN

I hope this helps. If you have any further questions, please let me know.

---
Best regards,
Yasmin Moslem

Wordfast Support Team
www.wordfast.com | www.wordfast.net

[Edited at 2011-01-05 22:29 GMT]

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Just Word Jan 6, 2011

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.) wrote:

Plus tools for translation alignment is free of charge to download (without requirement to purchase the WC package), working on WordFast Classic+MS Word interface.

Not even that, it just works in Word, full stop. Plustools has nothing to do with Wordfast apart from some WF-compatible features.
On another note, I don't think it's a very good aligner at all, but then I'm biased towards my own aligner.

IWagner  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:15
English to French
Alignment to start with Wordfast Jan 6, 2011

Apart from +Tools, what can we use to create a TM from existing translations?

Egypt
English to Arabic
Wordfast Online Aligner Jan 6, 2011

IWagner wrote:

Please check that:
http://www.proz.com/post/1657192#1657192

Please let me know if you have more questions.

---
Best regards,
Yasmin Moslem

Wordfast Support Team
www.wordfast.com | www.wordfast.net

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Aligners Jan 6, 2011

IWagner wrote:

Aligners.
There are countless others apart from Plustools and the online WF aligner mentioned above.
Paid:
- Terminotix makes Alignfactory, which seems to be quite popular, I'm sure it's nice.
- ABBY also makes a paid aligner, with some dubious claims in the PR.
- WinAlign is part of the SDL Trados suite, and in my opinion, it's horrible. Avoid at all cost.
- MemoQ and other CATs also have their own aligners.

Free:
- LF aligner, written by yours truly

If I were to buy an aligner, I'd probably go for Alignfactory.

Egypt
English to Arabic
Bitext2TMX Jan 7, 2011

Dear Farkas,

Many thanks for the nice list. I can add bitext2tmx, which is a very nice (free) alignment tool. You can use either 1.0 or 0.9, whatever works better for you.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/bitext2tmx/files/
http://bitext2tmx.sourceforge.net/b2tqs_en.html

HTH,
Yasmin

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Free aligners Jan 7, 2011

We came up with a fairly long list of free aligners here.
Bitext2tmx was on that list, but I'm not too fond of it. It doesn't have an autoaligner, which already makes it almost useless in my mind, along with about 80% of aligners out there. All it has is an editing UI, which I don't find to be particularly good. It could be pretty nice with a couple of small improvements, but as it is, I wouldn't bother with it.
I think there is a reason why LF aligner already gets 3 times as many downloads on sourceforge as bitext2tmx despite being a lot newer.

On another note, I'll have to apologize to ABBYY: the company that spouted completely unsubstantiated and highly dubious claims in its PR was Terminotix, the father of Alignfactory, not ABBYY.

[Edited at 2011-01-07 10:14 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast alignment software included in pro+classic package?

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search