Instance of Wordfast already running (when it is not)
Thread poster: Johann Audouin

Johann Audouin  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 04:17
English to French
Jan 11, 2011

Hello everybody !

I currently have to use Wordfast for one of my clients.
I already used it several times without any problem. But today, I received a file (Txml) and when I try to open it, I receive the error message "Instance of Wordfast already running". I uninstalled WF and reinstalled/restarted the computer but I still have this message. I tried to open the files I had previously worked on (when WF used to work normally) and I cannot open them anymore.

I check processes in the task manager and I do not have any other instance of WF running...
I have absolutely no clue why I have this message and why I cannot open this file...

Thanks for your help!

Translation-Pro  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Is javaw.exe still running? Jan 11, 2011

Hi Johann,

I sometimes get this error message because javaw.exe is still running.

Good luck!

France
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
javaw.exe is not running Jan 11, 2011

Thanks for your answer, I just checked but I do not have this process.

What do you usually do when javaw.exe interferes with Wordfast, do you end the process with the task manager ?

John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to English
End process javaw.exe should work Jan 11, 2011

Johann Audouin wrote:

What do you usually do when javaw.exe interferes with Wordfast, do you end the process with the task manager ?

Yes. That has worked for me in the past. Haven't had this problem occur for a while. Do you have the latest version of WF Pro? Make sure you update if not!

Best,

John Di Rico
Wordfast Trainer
www.wordfast.fr

Simon Cole  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:17
Member (2008)
French to English
Task Manager Jan 11, 2011

Try using Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del), select the 'Processes' tab, find a Wordfast process and "End Process". Then re-load Wordfast ands try again.

Sometimes I find I quit a programme (MS-Outlook is most commonly the culprit) but Windows leaves part of it running in the background - result is that Outlook tells e I have new e-mail even when I think Outlook isn't running.

Good luck

France
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Already tried Jan 11, 2011

I have already tried to find a Wordfast process with the task manager but there is not any. There probably is another program which interferes with Wordfast but I do not which one.

Translation-Pro  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Which processes are running? Jan 12, 2011

Which processes are running when you get this error message?

France
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Processes running Mar 9, 2011

Sorry for my (very) late answer, I have been very busy and I totally forgot about this problem. As I will probably have to use Wordfast again some day. I am still looking for a solution.

I do not have a "java.exe" process before I open the Wordfast file but when I open it, I get the usual error message ("Instance of Wordfast already running") and I can find this process. I tried to end it but it closes Wordfast and gives me an error message.

I tried to check every single process but none of them seem to interfere with Wordfast.

Here are the processes running when I open Wordfast and I get the error message:

Here is the error message I get when i close java.exe:

Thanks for your help.

Lianne van de Ven  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:17
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
You do have java running Mar 16, 2011

You have javaw.exe running, above launcher.exe, and killing it will resolve your issue.
I started having this problem with my recent update to WFP 2.4.1

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Yet another task manager Mar 17, 2011

Johann Audouin wrote:
I check processes in the task manager and I do not have any other instance of WF running...

I use this little task killer (it shows processes that Windows' own doesn't):
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~nulifetv/freezip/freeware/

Other than that... erm... reboot?

France
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
I'll try... Mar 17, 2011

Thanks for your answers.

Lianne, I know that I have the java.exe process, it appears when I open Wordfast. "Killing" it closes Wordfast and gives me the error message you can see above.

Samuel, I will probably try your software, this can only help. I am very busy at the moment but I will post here once I know if it works.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Instance of Wordfast already running (when it is not)

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search