Sharing glossaries between WFPro and WFClassic
Thread poster: TTalbot
TTalbot  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:25
German to English
Jan 12, 2011

I assume that some other people out there also like to sometimes use WFPro and sometimes use WFClassic, depending on the case (i.e. sometimes a client requests an uncleaned word file that can be cleaned into a Trados TM, which I don't think is possible using WFPro or at least don't know how to do, ...). To that end, it is obviously very useful to be able to use the same TM for both situations, but it would be great to be able to use the same glossary as well and not have to worry about updating back and forth when changes are made. As I understand, the glossary is stored "internally" in WFPro and cannot be used with WFClassic. Is there some solution to this issue? Am I the only one who uses both WFPro and WFClassic depending on the situation? Any info greatly appreciated!

Direct link Reply with quote

JL01  Identity Verified
United States
English to French
+ ...
Nope, you're not alone Jan 12, 2011

I am like you. Every so often, I try to use WfPro (usually because of a file format that WfC cannot handle).

WfC glossaries and TMs can be used by WfP, but I don't think that the back conversion is possible.
Maybe they can be converted back and I just don't know how to do it.

xxxNMR
France
Local time: 20:25
French to Dutch
+ ...
No, you are not the only one Jan 12, 2011

I work exactly in the same way. You can export the WF Pro glossary into a tab-delimited file and then reuse it in WF Classic.

This workaround is a bit complicated and you end up in not knowing anymore which glossary is the last one you used.

It is one of the (few) features I don't like in WF Pro. Why having an obscure g_23 in a workspace whereas it was so simple and easy to have text glossaries with real names and searchable by Copernic?

TTalbot  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
At least I'm not alone... Jan 13, 2011

Thanks for your replies!

@JL0L
It sounds like you don't work with WFP so often, but if you do, you can actually use exactly the same TM for both WFP and WFC without any trouble. You just have to define the same TM in the corresponding .ini file (WFC) and project (WFP) and that way you don't have to worry about anything... It's the glossaries that are problematic.

@NMR
That's exactly how I've been doing it so far. It seems strange that no one who developed the software would think of this as an issue... Luckily it doesn't come up ALL that often, but still, the point of using software is to make my life easier!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Sharing glossaries between WFPro and WFClassic

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search