Wordfast: problem with the clean-up
Thread poster: xxxPaola Messin
xxxPaola Messin
Local time: 15:33
English to Italian
+ ...
Jan 17, 2011

Hello, everyone! - hope to be in the right place to ask.

I'm attending a school for interpreters and translators in Milan, and I'm preparing an exam where I will use this program. I looked on the Internet for community of translators.. I hope someone could help me.

Let me explain. After doing the clean-up there's still the placeable "Page 1 of 1" with and without translation. My question is: what can I do to eliminate the original one from my document?
[ex. at the end of the document it is written "Pag 1 di 1" (IT) AND "Pag 1 of 1" (EN)]
I tried to do another clean-up, but the problem is still not solved.

Thank you in advance.
A desperate (future?) translator/interpreter..

Direct link Reply with quote

JL01  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:33
English to French
+ ...
Footers/Headers Jan 17, 2011

I assume that, although you don't mention it, the page numbers are in a footer or a header.

Recent versions of Wf don't clean up segments in footers/headers (older versions used to).

The solution is either to clean-up it by hand, or open the header/footer and do the clean-up then.

If that does not solve your problem, or if the problem does not occur in a footer/header, the best place to ask anyway is the Wf group in Yahoo Groups, which is monitored by YC, who is the author of Wf.

Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:33
Italian to English
Just a detail Jan 17, 2011

Italian abbreviates Pagina to Pag. English has no need to abbreviate Page and uses far fewer abbreviations generally.
Good luck in your exam.

xxxPaola Messin
Local time: 15:33
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
new Wf, maybe Jan 18, 2011

JL01 wrote:

I assume that, although you don't mention it, the page numbers are in a footer or a header.

Recent versions of Wf don't clean up segments in footers/headers (older versions used to).

The solution is either to clean-up it by hand, or open the header/footer and do the clean-up then.

If that does not solve your problem, or if the problem does not occur in a footer/header, the best place to ask anyway is the Wf group in Yahoo Groups, which is monitored by YC, who is the author of Wf.

Yes, they are. I've got the last free version of Wf, so probably here is the problem. Thank you for your explanation, I'll try to use the second method. In fact I usually did the clean-up without opening the footer. Doing it by hand sounds strange as the exam is based on the use of the program. I'll check the group on Yahoo if I keep having problems. Thank you again.

@Russell Jones: thank you.. I won't forget the "e" next time (:

John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 09:33
Member (2008)
French to English
Find & Replace Jan 18, 2011

You can sometimes force a cleanup in WF Classic using Word's Find & Replace to remove all hidden text, including headers/footers. All the tags and source language is hidden text in the document you want to clean up. Open Find & Replace (Ctrl + H) and click in the Find box but don't put anything there. Select More > Format > Font and check the Hidden box, then click Replace All. All SL and tags should disappear.

This should work with headers/footers, but it doesn't work with textboxes. However, WF should clean up textboxes.

Suzette Martin-Johnson
Canada
Member (2007)
French to English
+ ...
Bacon saved May 26, 2011

John, you just saved my bacon!!

Ana Chavez Tafur  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:33
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks Jul 5, 2011

John, that worked like a dream! But why should it happen? Now it's the only way I ca clean documents.

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:33
Finnish to French
Does the header contain a table? Jul 5, 2011

Ana ChavezTafur wrote:
John, that worked like a dream! But why should it happen? Now it's the only way I ca clean documents.

Does the header in the document contain a table? If memory serves, Wordfast issues a warning that tables in the header of a document may cause problems.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast: problem with the clean-up

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search