File size limit for Wordfast
Thread poster: Solten
Solten
Czech Republic
Local time: 23:42
Jan 20, 2011

Hello,
does anyone know if there is a file size limit for Wordfast? We have an excel file that's not so big, 8Mo, but includes around 1,600,000 words (counted with MS Word, copy/pasted from Excel), which is indeed a lot.
Wordfast cannot open it...
Has someone found a solution for this? Is splitting the document into many smaller documents (how small? what is the upper limit?) the only solution?
Thanks for your help,
Sebastien

Direct link Reply with quote

JL01  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:42
English to French
+ ...
Size issue, or something else Jan 20, 2011

This comes from the Wf manual:

"Not all projects or documents can be translated with Wordfast. There is a level of complexity (in layout, formatting, embedded objects, dynamic documents linked to sophisticated templates, documents with very large tables, etc.) beyond which Wordfast, and any CAT tool, will give up. Reason commands that large or complex documents be prepared for translation, for example, by separating them into smaller, more manageable sub-documents, removing large graphics, etc."

What you don't say is what exactly happens, and with which file (the original Excel file, or the Word file into which it is pasted) since Wf does not "open" anything.

I can say for certainty that Word will choke on a table of this size, pasted from Excel or not.

dulmini22  Identity Verified
Sri Lanka
Local time: 03:12
English to zzz Other zzz
+ ...
Inquire Wordfast Jan 21, 2011

If you possess the licensed version of Wordfast, you can get support from the Wordfast website.

Please email them your issue.

The team is very helpful and their instructions are clear.

I had similar problems and got those solved by their help.

Solten
Czech Republic
Local time: 23:42
TOPIC STARTER
error message Jan 21, 2011

We tried to open the .doc file, in which we had copied all the text, and also directly the .xls file. In both cases we get the same problem. This is what we get (not very helpful, that's why I didn't give it first):

Error opening the editor. (time of error: January 20, 2011 3:44:56 PM GMT +01:00)
Reason :
assertion failed:
An error occured. Please contact your administrator.

We have a valid licence for Wordfast, of course, but licences are valid for 3 years and support is only available for a year: we don't have a "less than one year old" licence... and before paying to renew the support I thought someone here may have had a similar experience, even more if the only thing the support could tell me is "yes your file's too big". Dulmini22, you said they helped you solve a similar problem, what was the solution?

Thanks for your help,
Sebastien

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

File size limit for Wordfast

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search