CSV filter for Wordfast Pro
Thread poster: Marek Daroszewski (MrMarDar)
Marek Daroszewski (MrMarDar)
Marek Daroszewski (MrMarDar)  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:05
English to Polish
+ ...
Jan 24, 2011

Hi All,
I have just received a CSV file and were surprised to find that WordFast Pro has no CSV filter.
Would anyone have some hints how to develop one?
In particular, how to handle (1) a range of semi-colons, so that they are changed into a tag and do not form part of the text to be translated; (2) a return + new line string, i.e. \r\n ?
Thanks in advance,
Marek

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 04:05
English to Thai
+ ...
MS Excel Jan 24, 2011

I always use MS Excel filter when I cannot find CSV filter in WordFast. WordFast keeps tags carefully but I have no idea about semi-colon and return+new line. I may save CSV as Unicode file, replace ";" etc. as tab and save again as Unicode (tab-delimited file) in MS Word. Translate and use reverse orders to save translation back into Unicode (tab-delimited file) > Convert text to table (in MS word)> Excel > CVS file.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 00:05
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Convert to xls? Jan 24, 2011

I had many problems when translating csv via Word. When copying from Word some cells where left empty in the csv-file.
If again confronted with csv I would probably convert them to xls and translate them normally using the advanced wizard of WF Pro.

Marek Daroszewski (MrMarDar)
Marek Daroszewski (MrMarDar)  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:05
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tagged CSV Jan 25, 2011

@Soonthon and @Heinrich,
thank you for your hints. Conversion to xls(x) is the easiest way. And (of course) works. The issue is that the file is heavily marked-up with HTML-type tags.

When I convert CSV into xls and open the resulting file in WFPro the tags are treated as text and the resulting segment could look like:

Objective
\r\nThis lesson evaluates....

and is all in one WFPro "cell".

When CSV is NOT converted int
... See more
@Soonthon and @Heinrich,
thank you for your hints. Conversion to xls(x) is the easiest way. And (of course) works. The issue is that the file is heavily marked-up with HTML-type tags.

When I convert CSV into xls and open the resulting file in WFPro the tags are treated as text and the resulting segment could look like:

Objective
\r\nThis lesson evaluates....

and is all in one WFPro "cell".

When CSV is NOT converted into xls and opened in WFPro the same segment looks as follows:

(cell 1){ut1}Objective{ut2}{ut3}\r\n
(cell 2)This lesson evaluates

This latter method is nearly OK, but for the occasional \r\n strings or a number of semicolons that appear at the end of the cell.

Still trying....
M
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CSV filter for Wordfast Pro

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »