Caroline Tsaganas  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 04:44
Member (2011)
English to French
+ ...
Jan 28, 2011

Hello,

I have just received some .txml files for proofreading. The agency requests that I send them back unclean and without footnotes.

I have no idea what this means...

I am new to Wordfast and made it so far with plain Word documents.

I read many topics on the subject and got to the point where I downloaded PlusTools. But this is were I do not understand how to go on...

Has anyone been confronted with the same problem? Do you know if a post has already been written on that subject?

I am very good with computers and softwares, but this time, I am on the verge of giving up... and deadline is monday...

I am desesperate for help...

Thanks

Caroline

Marina Aleyeva  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 05:44
English to Russian
+ ...
WF Pro Jan 28, 2011

I think what you need is Wordfast Pro. Just install WF Pro, open your .txml there, proofread and save a copy. That's it. Check the manual to get some basics before you start though. It is not difficult (IMHO much easier than Trados) but a manual is always of help when you are a newbie.

P.S. txml is already an uncleaned file. WF Pro creates these files automatically when opening various other formats including doc and html.

P.P.S. To locate the footnotes, just use the WF preview mode: Window - Show View - Preview in MS Word (if the source document was a Word one) or Preview HTML in Webbrowser (if it was an htm/html). For a document that was originally a Word file, only Preview in MS Word will be active. If it was an htm/html, both preview options will be active, but Preview in MS Word will show a two-column table with the source and target rather than an actual layout.

Hope it helps.

[Edited at 2011-01-28 22:30 GMT]

Caroline Tsaganas  Identity Verified
France
Member (2011)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
.txml files in Wordfast Classic for Proofreading Jan 29, 2011

Good morning Marina!

What a relief to find your post this morning! Thanks a lot for your time.
I was able to install WordfastPRo and you were absolutely right, the problem was instantly solved.

You seem to be at ease with the proofreading issue as well, so may I ask you another question? Here the exact words of the agency request:

"I would like you to do your correction directly in the unclean files in WordFast without using notes."

So, am I right with following work flow:

1. I unzipped the original .txml files.
2. I rename thems so I know they are mine and I do not destruct the originals
3. I open the new named .txml files and start corrections directly.
4. I send to the agency the corrected files. Shall I rename them as they were originally? The agency requests specifically that we do not rename files...
5. What is with the billing? Do I have do to something myself so the agency keeps track of my changes or does it happen automatically?

As you can read, the sweet little word "newie" you uses may not be sufficient to describe my capacities... but I am a fast learner...

Thanks a lot again for your help!

Caroline

Marina Aleyeva  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 05:44
English to Russian
+ ...
Yes - except for track changes Jan 29, 2011

Hello Caroline,

You are welcome.

Yes that is basically what you do. I am unsure if you can track changes in a txml though - never done that before. If such an option exists then there should be something in the manual about it.

And no, do not change file extensions. If the agency wants uncleaned files, that means they want the same txml they sent you. To get back to the original file format, you would need to clean the file using WF Pro. I would still try to clean a copy to make sure that a) it cleans well, and b) there are no problems in the final output.

Good luck,

Marina

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 09:44
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
.txml files in Wordfast Classic for Proofreading Jan 30, 2011

Not a standard working style but you can open *.txml file in WordFast Classic. The thick is that *.txml file is in fact a text file with xml codes. I used to rename into *.txt file and open with Word to use WordFast Classic and trace changes. I save back into *.txml file WITHOUT trace changes. I sent both revised files to clients who expected the output files. This is a use of strong points in both Word and *.txml files.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

lanhnt85
Vietnam
Local time: 09:44
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
Translating with Wordfast Feb 24, 2011

Hi everyone,

Please someone can tell me how I can translate the TXML files. Normally I did steps as below:

1. Unzip the TXML folder
2. Copy the 'target' tag to the TXML file
3. Copy the contents of 'source' tag into the 'target' tag
4. Translate the source doc. file using wordfast
5. I copy the translated sentences from doc. into the 'target' tag according to its contents.

Am I doing right, or only manually?

Do you have any idea about this point?

Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
English to Arabic
Wordfast Pro Feb 28, 2011

lanhnt85 wrote:

Hi everyone,

Please someone can tell me how I can translate the TXML files. Normally I did steps as below:

1. Unzip the TXML folder
2. Copy the 'target' tag to the TXML file
3. Copy the contents of 'source' tag into the 'target' tag
4. Translate the source doc. file using wordfast
5. I copy the translated sentences from doc. into the 'target' tag according to its contents.

Am I doing right, or only manually?

Do you have any idea about this point?

Please download and install the latest version of Wordfast Professional available at:
http://www.wordfast.com/store_download.html

Wordfast Pro can translate doc files as follows:

- Create/open a project ("File" menu) and a translation memory.

- "Open" the source file (DOC) you want to translate ("File" menu).

- Insert the translation in the target cell and move to the next segment using Alt+Down.

- Make sure you insert the tags/placeables by using Ctrl+Alt+Right to select a tag and Ctrl+Alt+Down to insert it.

- After finalizing the translation, press Alt+End; "Save".

- Select "Save Translated file" from "File" menu to have the target translated file in the same original format (DOC) to send back to your client.

You can watch this interactive small video for guidance:
http://www.wordfast.net/?kb=149-35

I hope this helps.

---
Best regards,
Yasmin Moslem

Wordfast Support Team
www.wordfast.com | www.wordfast.net

Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Don't forget... Anywhere Mar 1, 2011

Don't forget WF Anywhere @ http://freetm.com - you can also upload .txml files there, be it for translating or proofreadingicon_wink.gif.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

.txml files in Wordfast Classic for Proofreading

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search