How to segment sentences in Excel-cells?
Thread poster: Heinrich Pesch

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 20:47
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Feb 8, 2011

When I use WFP to translate a text each cell is one segment, even if it has two or more complete sentences in it. How can I convince WFP to segment like normal text. Otherwise my TM of 10 years work is useless (or I continue to use Word and WFC).
Regards
Heinrich

[Bearbeitet am 2011-02-08 16:39 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

JL01  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:47
English to French
+ ...
Excellent question Feb 8, 2011

I'd like to have the answer, too.

John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 19:47
Member (2006)
French to English
Shrinkage Feb 8, 2011

I know it's tedious, but does the shrink segment function work at least? You could also try to play with the segmentation settings in the preferences. Sorry, don't have my computer here to troubleshoot.

Best,
John Di Rico
Wordfast Trainer
www.wordfast.fr

Marek Daroszewski (MrMarDar)  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:47
English to Polish
+ ...
Segmentation settings Feb 8, 2011

Hi Heinrich,

How can I convince WFP to segment like normal text.

You might want to try the Edit->Preferences->Translations->Filters->Segmentation Settings tab.
There are quite a few options there. I remember I once had an xls file I wanted to segment at each semicolon. I managed to do that by putting a semicolon in the End of segment markers field on that tab.

You might have to restart WFP for the changed setting to take effect (at least I think I had to....).
Good luck!
Marek

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to segment sentences in Excel-cells?

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search