https://www.proz.com/forum/wordfast_support/191716-typing_long_dash_in_wordfast.html

Typing long dash in Wordfast
Thread poster: Pavel Zalutski
Pavel Zalutski
Pavel Zalutski  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:57
English to Russian
+ ...
Feb 9, 2011

Hello, how do I type a long dash in Wordfast? (In Microsoft Word, it is CTRL + dash). How about other special characters like accented Latin alphabet, upside-down exclamation and question marks, etc.?

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
English to French
+ ...
Ctrl+Alt+dash Feb 10, 2011

Actually, within Word, the long dash (em-dash) is Ctrl+Alt+dash. Ctrl+dash is an en-dash.
These work in Wf Classic, like any special character.

Isabelle Derson
Isabelle Derson  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:57
Member (2009)
English to French
+ ...
alt ? Feb 10, 2011

Have you tried ALT-shortcuts ?

http://usefulshortcuts.com/alt-codes/punctuation-alt-codes.php

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:57
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Different layouts Feb 10, 2011

First, you did not specify you operating system.

Second (well, assuming, you use Microsoft Windows),

Pavel Zalutski wrote:

Hello, how do I type a long dash in Wordfast?

An easy way is using Ilya Birman’s layout.

How about other special characters like accented Latin alphabet, upside-down exclamation and question marks, etc.?

Use the US International layout. In Windows, it’s, however, very limited as compared to a similar layout in Linux. Then, use Linux

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
WFP Feb 10, 2011

Pavel Zalutski wrote:
Hello, how do I type a long dash in Wordfast? (In Microsoft Word, it is CTRL + dash). How about other special characters like accented Latin alphabet, upside-down exclamation and question marks, etc.?

I assume you're on WFP. Turn on NumLock and use Alt+0150 (en dash) or Alt+0151 (em dash). For other characters, this may work (tested only the above two dashes):
http://tlt.its.psu.edu/suggestions/international/accents/codealt.html

Ambrose Li
Ambrose Li  Identity Verified
Canada
English
+ ...
Alt Feb 10, 2011

Samuel Murray wrote:

I assume you're on WFP. Turn on NumLock and use Alt+0150 (en dash) or Alt+0151 (em dash). For other characters, this may work (tested only the above two dashes):
http://tlt.its.psu.edu/suggestions/international/accents/codealt.html

I don’t think NumLock matters, but correct me if I’m wrong.

(corrected)
You can actually type any character in Windows if you know its Unicode. See http://www.fileformat.info/tip/microsoft/enter_unicode.htm for instructions. (Unfortunately I don’t have a Windows machine to test this.)

[Edited at 2011-02-10 08:58 GMT]

Krzysztof Kajetanowicz (X)
Krzysztof Kajetanowicz (X)  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
WFP: shortcuts Feb 10, 2011

Samuel Murray wrote:

Pavel Zalutski wrote:

I assume you're on WFP. Turn on NumLock and use Alt+0150 (en dash) or Alt+0151 (em dash).

That's the way I used to do it, until I found out that (Ctrl+numpad minus) and (Ctrl+Alt+numpad minus) work perfectly well.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Krzysztof Feb 10, 2011

Krzysztof Kajetanowicz wrote:
Samuel Murray wrote:
I assume you're on WFP. Turn on NumLock and use Alt+0150 (en dash) or Alt+0151 (em dash).

That's the way I used to do it, until I found out that (Ctrl+numpad minus) and (Ctrl+Alt+numpad minus) work perfectly well.

You're right... I just tested it, and it also works in WFP (I had assumed that it would not). The problem with WFP (and WFC for that matter) is that if you want to type the Alt codes that include numbers, you have to turn NumLock on, otherwise WFC/WFP will interpret the code as a command.

Pavel Zalutski
Pavel Zalutski  Identity Verified
United States
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Absence of numeric pad confused me Feb 12, 2011

Hey, I had no idea you can work in WFP with dashes the same way you would be in MS Word.

In MS Word it will actually respond when you press the dash button in the main keyboard area, not necessarily on the numeric pad - which I don't have on my laptop!

But in WFP you have to press the dash specifically on the numeric pad. So I was under impression there must be a whole different method for WFP. This is easily solved by turning some of my keyboard into a numeric pad thro
... See more
Hey, I had no idea you can work in WFP with dashes the same way you would be in MS Word.

In MS Word it will actually respond when you press the dash button in the main keyboard area, not necessarily on the numeric pad - which I don't have on my laptop!

But in WFP you have to press the dash specifically on the numeric pad. So I was under impression there must be a whole different method for WFP. This is easily solved by turning some of my keyboard into a numeric pad through the fn button.

THANKS TONS! No more dragging of the en/em-dashes from source into target in WFP!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Typing long dash in Wordfast

Translation news related to Wordfast

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »