Making one TM from several small TMs in WFPro
Thread poster: Beata Kovacs Teslery

Beata Kovacs Teslery  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:53
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Feb 14, 2011

Hi,
I have several small TMs for different clients but in the same field. I would like to create one large TM from them. Is it possible in WFPro? If yes, how can I do it?
Thanks for your help in advance,
Beata

Direct link Reply with quote

Aude Sylvain  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
create one new TM and import the small ones Feb 14, 2011

Hello Beata,
You can create a new (empty) TM and then import all the small ones in (from the TM preferences window).

Beata Kovacs Teslery  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How to import? Feb 14, 2011

When I create a new TM, only the languages canb be changed. After creation, I can only export it but no import button can be seen. (only new, open, remove, export and edit). Edit also cannot work, nothing can be changed in it.
Thanks a lot.

xxxNMR
France
French to Dutch
+ ...
I don't know if this is possible in WF Pro Feb 14, 2011

But there are (at least) two other ways:
- by using WF Classic
- in Notepad: read the TMs in Notepad (they are plain text files), and then copy and paste the lines (all those under the header) of the 2nd TM in the 1st TM, and so on. Then check the language settings, they all should be the same (do not mix up language pairs); if not Search&Replace those which are wrong.

Note: in WF Pro you can connext several TMs at the same time, maybe you even don't have to combine them in one big TM.

Aude Sylvain  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
use the TMX format Feb 14, 2011

Oh, sorry I had forgotten that.

Maybe there is a simpler solution (incl. manipulating the content of the txt files but I am not good at that), but what I would do then is to convert each small TM into TMX (via WFP's export feature) and then create a new TMX and import all these small TMX in this new TM using Apsic Xbench http://www.apsic.com/en/products_xbench.html

You will then have a 'big' TMX, which you can open in WFP.

HTH,
Aude

P.S. I see on your profile that you have Trados: this conversion could be done with Trados 2007 or Studio too, instead of Apsic. However you may have a further step to complete since they'd respectively create a TM in their native format (vs. TMX), which you will need to export as a TMX so WFP can read it.

[Edited at 2011-02-14 10:22 GMT]

Translation-Pro  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Copy & Paste Feb 15, 2011

Beata Kovacs Teslery wrote:

Hi,
I have several small TMs for different clients but in the same field. I would like to create one large TM from them. Is it possible in WFPro? If yes, how can I do it?
Thanks for your help in advance,
Beata

Hi,

Try this:

1. Open the first WFP TM.
2. Open the second WFP TM.
3. Remove the header (first line) of the second TM.
4. Copy the second TM.
5. Paste the second TM at the end of the first TM.

Hope this helps!

Christa

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Making one TM from several small TMs in WFPro

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search