Analysis
Thread poster: flarrazabal

flarrazabal
Japan
Local time: 19:01
Member
English to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 17, 2011

If all units have been confirmed as translated and committed to the TM, why does the analysis show that 40% of the file is still "no match"?

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Daniel Grau  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
The analysis is testimonial Feb 17, 2011

It reflects how much work you have done while translating. Thus, Wordfast analyzes by looking at the numbers in the middle purple marker.

You got 40% no matches because that was the percentage of no matches at the time you translated.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

flarrazabal
Japan
Local time: 19:01
Member
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Purple Feb 17, 2011

I'm proofreading a file that has been wholly translated.
All units were committed to the TM (alt + end).
All units have a Score of 100.
I have also "Confirm All".
In the Outline all units are either green (or orange for the repetitions).

Yet, the analysis still shows a high percentage of "0% - 74%" untranslated words.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Translation-Pro  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:01
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
I know this problem... Feb 18, 2011

...and got rid of it by uninstalling (complete uninstallation without keeping any files) and re-installing WFP.

Hope this helps!


Direct link Reply with quote
 

flarrazabal
Japan
Local time: 19:01
Member
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Uninstalling Feb 18, 2011

I'm using Wordfast Pro 2.4.1 under Vista.

I tried uninstalling twice but I still get the same results.

With the same fully translated file, I created a new empty TM, deselected the older one and then committed all the units to the TM.

Result of the analysis: 100% of the file is no match.

Does all this have something to do with "leveraging" the TM? How do you leverage all the units instead of "Alt + space bar" unit by unit?


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Translation-Pro  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:01
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
All I can say... Feb 19, 2011

Fernando Larrazabal wrote:

I'm using Wordfast Pro 2.4.1 under Vista.

I tried uninstalling twice but I still get the same results.

With the same fully translated file, I created a new empty TM, deselected the older one and then committed all the units to the TM.

Result of the analysis: 100% of the file is no match.

Does all this have something to do with "leveraging" the TM? How do you leverage all the units instead of "Alt + space bar" unit by unit?




...is that a default uninstallation (keeping certain files) didn't work for me either.
When asked if you want to keep certain files, you have to select the other option.
I have no idea why this worked in my case (WFP 2.4.1 and XP).

I usually use the "Commit to TM" command in the Translation Memory menu before saving a translation. All TUs should be confirmed, so don't click the Confirm/Unconfirm button, unless you really want to unconfirm segments.

Good luck!


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 12:01
English to Arabic
Exact Matches Feb 21, 2011

Fernando Larrazabal wrote:

I'm proofreading a file that has been wholly translated.
All units were committed to the TM (alt + end).
All units have a Score of 100.
I have also "Confirm All".
In the Outline all units are either green (or orange for the repetitions).

Yet, the analysis still shows a high percentage of "0% - 74%" untranslated words.





Dear Fernando,

I guess that the TXML file might include some exact matches that were in the *original* TM. By default, Alt+End will not store them into a TM unless you adjust the settings.

To make sure every segment goes to the TM without editing (even fuzzy and exact matches and the unedited MTed), go to Edit > Preferences > Translation Memory > check "Write unedited fuzzy and exact matches to the TM". Now, Alt+Down and Alt+End will store everything to the TM.

I hope this helps.


---
Best regards,
Yasmin Moslem

Wordfast Support Team
www.wordfast.com | www.wordfast.net


Direct link Reply with quote
 

flarrazabal
Japan
Local time: 19:01
Member
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Original TM exact matches Mar 2, 2011

Dear Yasmin,

Thanks for the explanation.

I actually knew about using the "Write unedited fuzzy and exact matches to the TM" function but there is a little problem with it. After using that function, all the units are 100% and purple.

Now, how can I (or the QM who will do a final check after my proofreading) know which units were exact matches in the "original" TM and which ones are new units that have been proofread and need to be QM-ed?

These are real cases where 70% or more of the files contain approved translated material that do not need to be checked and that shouldn't be changed.

Regards,

Fernando


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 12:01
English to Arabic
Do not save! Mar 2, 2011

Fernando Larrazabal wrote:

I actually knew about using the "Write unedited fuzzy and exact matches to the TM" function but there is a little problem with it. After using that function, all the units are 100% and purple.

Now, how can I (or the QM who will do a final check after my proofreading) know which units were exact matches in the "original" TM and which ones are new units that have been proofread and need to be QM-ed?



Dear Fernando,

Make sure you save your file before enabling this feature. Apply Alt+End, and then close the file WITHOUT saving. Then, disable it again. In this way, the colours will remain although the TM has been updated.

I hope this helps.


---
Best regards,
Yasmin Moslem

Wordfast Support Team
www.wordfast.com | www.wordfast.net


Direct link Reply with quote
 

PCovs
Denmark
Local time: 12:01
Member (2003)
English to Danish
+ ...
Will this be fixed? Mar 2, 2011

Hi Yasmin,

Will this be fixed in future updates?
It is a real pain sometimes, and it seems illogical that the TM is not simply updated when you hit Alt + End.

The other day, I had just finished a rather large translation, and then I did something completely stupid that wiped out the translation. Everything had been saved in the TM, though, so not a big problem.
But... I had to go to each and every segment and hit Alt + Space to get the translation, because the Translate to Fuzzy etc. did not work.
Is this related to the same problem about the TM not updating?

Last question: If the TM is not updated anyway when hitting Alt + End at the end of a translation, is it then simply a waste of time doing so? I mean, does it have no effect at all?


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 12:01
English to Arabic
Alt+End Mar 2, 2011

PCovs wrote:

Hi Yasmin,

Will this be fixed in future updates?
It is a real pain sometimes, and it seems illogical that the TM is not simply updated when you hit Alt + End.

The other day, I had just finished a rather large translation, and then I did something completely stupid that wiped out the translation. Everything had been saved in the TM, though, so not a big problem.
But... I had to go to each and every segment and hit Alt + Space to get the translation, because the Translate to Fuzzy etc. did not work.
Is this related to the same problem about the TM not updating?

Last question: If the TM is not updated anyway when hitting Alt + End at the end of a translation, is it then simply a waste of time doing so? I mean, does it have no effect at all?



I was not speaking about a bug; I was speaking about a feature. Alt+End should update all your own work, but it does not store green and yellow segments because they should be already in the TM. But when you receive a file pre-translated by the client, and they do not provide you with the TM, you may like to keep those pre-translated segments in your own TM, and that is what I was describing in my previous reply.

As for the problem you had, if your file was spoiled for some reason, it is better to press Alt+Shift+Delete to clear all the segment, and then use "Translate All" button.


I hope this helps.


---
Best regards,
Yasmin Moslem

Wordfast Support Team
www.wordfast.com | www.wordfast.net


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Analysis

Advanced search


Translation news related to Wordfast





Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search