Caroline Tsaganas  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 17:04
Member (2011)
English to French
+ ...
Mar 4, 2011

Hi everybody,

I am translating a whole book of .mif files (Adobe FrameMaker). I use the latest version of WordfastPro
I complete the different filles separtely. When I am finished, I do "save" and then "save translated file".
Doing so, I noticed that a .skl file is created. I open then the translated file in FrameMaker.
Everything went fine, until I realized that I could not open 2 of the book's files. Looking closer, I realised that the .skl file of the translated file was missing. So I kept opening a OkB file in FrameMaker.

I think I found the problem, but I do not know the solution. How do you retrieve a .skl file? What did I do wrong?

I'll be glad to know...

Thanks in advance

Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
English to Arabic
Pre-Translate Mar 4, 2011

Caroline Tsaganas wrote:

Hi everybody,

I am translating a whole book of .mif files (Adobe FrameMaker). I use the latest version of WordfastPro
I complete the different filles separtely. When I am finished, I do "save" and then "save translated file".
Doing so, I noticed that a .skl file is created. I open then the translated file in FrameMaker.
Everything went fine, until I realized that I could not open 2 of the book's files. Looking closer, I realised that the .skl file of the translated file was missing. So I kept opening a OkB file in FrameMaker.

Dear Caroline,

You can open a fresh copy of the MIF files and pre-translate them using the toolbar button "Translate All".

I hope this helps.

---
Best regards,
Yasmin Moslem

Wordfast Support Team
www.wordfast.com | www.wordfast.net

France
Member (2011)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
not sure I understand Mar 4, 2011

Hi Yasmin,

I am not sure I understand how you want me to proceed.

I had a .mif file.
I opened it in WordfastPro and it created a .mif.txml file.
I proceed to translation and save the file. It creates 3 new files:
one *_Languagesource-Languagetarget.mif.txml file
one *_languagesource-Languagetarget.mif.skl file
one *_languagesource-Languagetarget.mif file

I've noticed for the translated files which cannot be opened that the one *_languagesource-Languagetarget.mif.skl file is missing.

So what exactly do you want me to do?

Another question to understand what I am doing wrong: If I stop translating without having finished it and want to continue at another moment, which file do I open: the *_Languagesource-Languagetarget.mif.txml file or the *.mif.txml file? I open the second one and continue. Is that right?

Thanks, again, Yasmin !

Egypt
English to Arabic
Pre-translate another copy of the source MIF Mar 4, 2011

Dear Caroline,

Caroline Tsaganas wrote:

I am not sure I understand how you want me to proceed.

I mean you open a fresh copy of the source file, say: COPY_OF_Languagesource-Languagetarget.mif. This will generate an empty COPY_OF_Languagesource-Languagetarget.mif.TXML that you can pre-translate using your Translation Memory, by clicking the toolbar button "Translate All". Is it clear now?

Caroline Tsaganas wrote:

Another question to understand what I am doing wrong: If I stop translating without having finished it and want to continue at another moment, which file do I open: the *_Languagesource-Languagetarget.mif.txml file or the *.mif.txml file? I open the second one and continue. Is that right?

Open the TXML file to proceed translation.

I hope this helps. Please let me know.

---
Best regards,
Yasmin Moslem

Wordfast Support Team

France
Member (2011)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It helped a lot! Mar 4, 2011

Thanks Yasmin,

as always, you saved me... I did what you said and it worked out perfectly.

Thanks a lot. I am going to sleep like a baby now that this matter is settledicon_smile.gif

Again, thanks.

France
Member (2011)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
is there a way around translate all function Mar 10, 2011

Hi Yasmin!

Me again! With a new problem, same subject, same project.
Here the situation:

I had finished translated all the files in my WordfastPro.
Got all the skl missing files as you explained to me previoulsly so I could open all original files in their translated version in FrameMaker and have been very proud about it. I sent everything to the customer.

Yesterdey, customer told me some cross references were not working in FrameMaker. I had a look and realized he was right. I had misplaced many placeables indeed. So I corrected every single file using Transcheck. Commited to TM. Opened them in Frame Maker. Everything went well for 6 of the 9 files involved.

I have a probelm with the other 3 files. It seems to be of the same kind as the problem I asked you about in my previous post: again, I cannot open the file in FrameMaker. I tried the same trick you suggested me: create a copy of the source file, use `translate all` function to get it translated with all placeable corrected and then `save` and `save translatec file`. But the version I get using `translate all` function is the old one where placeable are misplaced.

I do not understand why. I tried again, creating a brand new TM just in case the original one was full, but with no success either.

Is there a way around the `translate all` trick? It is really annoying knowing you have the version you need ready in your mif.txml file but you cannot use it...

I am blocked here.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Egypt
English to Arabic
TM Selected Mar 10, 2011

Dear Caroline,

Do you have two TMs activated? Make sure you have only one "Selected" TM, mainly the correct.

Also, try to give your files different names.

I think this should help; if not, please send me one TXML + one source MIF.

---
Best regards,
Yasmin Moslem

Wordfast Support Team

France
Member (2011)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
even with brand new tm Mar 10, 2011

Yasmin Moslem wrote:

Dear Caroline,

Do you have two TMs activated? Make sure you have only one "Selected" TM, mainly the correct.

Also, try to give your files different names.

I think this should help; if not, please send me one TXML + one source MIF.

---
Best regards,
Yasmin Moslem

Wordfast Support Team

Yes Yasmin, I had created a brand new tm for the occasion. And to make sure there was no conflict, I made sure this was the only one selected. No success.

I have not tried to change names yet. I assume you want me to change the source file name. Could you please confirm and if so I'll try it this way.

Thank you very much for the offer of sending you txml + one source MIF. If this does not work, I shall do it so you can tell me what I do wrong. I would love to understand !

Please confirm if name change concern source file so I can give it a go and get back to you.

Thanks a lot

Caroline

France
Member (2011)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
changing name of source file not successul Mar 11, 2011

Hi Yasmin,

I tried with new file name and with only one TM activated but was not successful either.
I then tried sending you the files, but via WordfastPro mif file upload did not work. Error message kept coming up.
Where should I send the files?

Thanks

Caroline

I also tried to change project... yes... I am soooo desesperate... did not work either...

[Modifié le 2011-03-11 00:30 GMT]

Tried to send you the files via Proz interface, but upload failedicon_smile.gif
I sent you an e-mail via Proz so you can tell me where to send them to.

[Modifié le 2011-03-11 10:52 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SKL file missing

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search