Is there anyway to print the 2 columns in Wordfast?
Thread poster: Cuauhtemoc Zepeda
Cuauhtemoc Zepeda
Cuauhtemoc Zepeda  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 18:46
English to Spanish
Mar 4, 2011

Is there anyway to print the 2 columns (source and target language) in Wordfast?

Some customers ask for that view in their translated files

Or, is there any CAT tool that does this?

Paola Grochi
Paola Grochi  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 22:46
English to Spanish
+ ...
PlusTools Mar 5, 2011

What you can do is to align the source and the translated document using PlusTools, it's a freeware app you usually download with WordFast. I use it when working with other translators to create a translation memory from their work, for example.
When you align the documents you get a table like the one you want, but you have to revise it.
I think it's easier to do it with unclean or segmented files, though haven't tried yet.

NMR (X)
NMR (X)
France
Local time: 03:46
French to Dutch
+ ...
My opinion Mar 5, 2011

It doesn't exist, but it would be a nice "intermedeate" feature. Have been looking for that too.

It doesn't show the end results however. You can only see the end results when saving the translated file, and compare this one to the original.

Alex Lago
Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Just print Mar 5, 2011

If you are working in Wordfast Pro, simply go to File and click on Print, that will print a file with four columns: column ID, source text, target text and the TM Score.

If you are working with Wordfast Classic it is more complicated, you have to either use Tools and follow the procedure Paola mentioned or use this method which I find easier: open your TM in wordpad and copy paste to Excel that will copy the target and source into different columns which are already aligned.

Cuauhtemoc Zepeda
Mexico
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, I really appreciate it Mar 5, 2011

Paola Grochi wrote:

What you can do is to align the source and the translated document using PlusTools, it's a freeware app you usually download with WordFast. I use it when working with other translators to create a translation memory from their work, for example.
When you align the documents you get a table like the one you want, but you have to revise it.
I think it's easier to do it with unclean or segmented files, though haven't tried yet.

Thanks, I really appreciate it.

Now, would there be any way to export this same format to a Word file?

Best regards.

Cuauhtemoc Zepeda
Mexico
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you very much, I really appreciate it. Mar 5, 2011

NMR wrote:

It doesn't exist, but it would be a nice "intermedeate" feature. Have been looking for that too.

It doesn't show the end results however. You can only see the end results when saving the translated file, and compare this one to the original.

Best regards.

[Edited at 2011-03-05 23:01 GMT]

Cuauhtemoc Zepeda
Mexico
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you very much. Mar 5, 2011

NMR wrote:

Thank you very much

Best regards.

Cuauhtemoc Zepeda
Mexico
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, I really appreciate your help Mar 5, 2011

Alex Lago wrote:

If you are working in Wordfast Pro, simply go to File and click on Print, that will print a file with four columns: column ID, source text, target text and the TM Score.

If you are working with Wordfast Classic it is more complicated, you have to either use Tools and follow the procedure Paola mentioned or use this method which I find easier: open your TM in wordpad and copy paste to Excel that will copy the target and source into different columns which are already aligned.

Best regards.

Lianne van de Ven
Lianne van de Ven  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:46
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
How to create bilingual word file 'using' wordfast pro. Mar 6, 2011

-removed- (posted twice)
See below

[Edited at 2011-03-06 05:34 GMT]

Lianne van de Ven
Lianne van de Ven  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:46
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
How to create bilingual word file 'using' wordfast pro. Mar 6, 2011

Cuauhtemoc Zepeda wrote:

Best regards.

It's a little bit of work, but I create a bilingual word file by first creating a source-source txml using 'copy source' - in addition to the translated txml.

1) Open txml to be translated
2) Save as ... (name it 'source copy' for example)
3) Use ctrl+alt+insert to copy all source segments into target fields
4) Click 'preview in word' icon or use alt+W. This produces a word file (document A) with all source segments in a table view. Save it.
5) After translation, create a similar word file with the translated segments by using preview or alt+W (dccument B).
6) Now you need to create the bilingual file.
Word for some reason does not copy the columns correctly into a new document. But Excel works.
So, select the column with source segments of doc A and paste it in an new excel file. Paste it in cell B1 and it will automatically paste as a column.
7) Then select the column with target segments of doc B and paste it in excel cell C1. I reserve column A for numbering the segments for easy review, but this is optional.
8) Then select the desired columns in excel and paste it into a new word file, and voila, there is your bilingual word file.

Hope this will work for you.

Milan Condak
Milan Condak  Identity Verified
English to Czech
PlusToyZ is not CAT but works Mar 6, 2011

Is there anyway to print the 2 columns (source and target language) in Wordfast?

There are macros in "plustoyz.doc", some macros are for conversions of file format.

http://www.condak.net/tools/plustoyz/2008/cs/convert_bitext.htm

Milan

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
What do you mean? Mar 6, 2011

Cuauhtemoc Zepeda wrote:
Alex Lago wrote:
Cuauhtemoc Zepeda wrote:

Would there be any way to export this same format to a Word file?

What do you mean? The file Alex mentions *is* a Word file.

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
printing columns in Studio Mar 6, 2011

Cuauhtemoc Zepeda wrote:

Yes, you can print out the 2 columns in Studio 2009.
You can also use the XLIFF creator to produce source and target side by side in a table in Word or in Excel. http://www.sdl.com/en/language-technology/partners/sdl-openexchange/AppDetails.aspx?appid=2#tab1

Paola Grochi
Paola Grochi  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 22:46
English to Spanish
+ ...
That's a Word file Mar 7, 2011

Cuauhtemoc Zepeda wrote:

Paola Grochi wrote:

Best regards.

The result is a Word document with a table with 2 columns: source and target.
First open both documents, source and target, then go to PlusTools, Align, and then choose the source and targe file, if they're segmented or not, etc. Press the Align button and then you'll have your table with the source and target segments. Go through it because it's not perfect, and some segments will need to be merged or split, but is a great tool. Save your .doc and you're done!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is there anyway to print the 2 columns in Wordfast?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »