Giuseppe Bellone
Italy
Local time: 14:11
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
Mar 5, 2011

Hi everybody,
there has just been a new release or a new one is on its way for both kinds of Wordfast.
I don't like the Classic because I prefer to work on a program that stands alone without being strictly connected to Word as the Classic version is, as far as I understood.
But I actually don't know whether one version is better than the other for some reasons, apart from the one I've mentioned above.
I'd like to buy one of the licences and work in peace but my doubt is about the choice: which one? What are the real pros and cons of both versions? Or are they more or less the same?
I know that I can read the site pages but I prefer your opinions as there are so many of you who use the program.
Thanks a lot for your comments.
MisterBeppe

PCovs
Denmark
Member (2003)
English to Danish
+ ...
If you buy the Pro version you get the Classic also Mar 5, 2011

;o)

Besides, as I understand it, Classic basically works with Word, whereas Pro now supports a large number of file formats.

Giuseppe Bellone
Italy
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks PCOVS Mar 5, 2011

I thought you would get the other one only with special offers, not always. Thank you.
icon_smile.gif

PCovs
Denmark
Member (2003)
English to Danish
+ ...
Hmmm, never thought of that Mar 5, 2011

I must admit, that I never thought about it - whether or not Classic is always included.

Anyway, it shouldn't be a problem, because I would not buy Wordfast outside a special offer/TGB or something - they come frequently enough, I think, and why not wait just a little while to save a considerable amount of money?

Good luck.

Giuseppe Bellone
Italy
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, indeed! Mar 5, 2011

I'll certainly wait. But I wanted to have opinions in advance! Thanks!

Kate Chaffer
Italy
Member (2009)
Italian to English
TGB Mar 5, 2011

There is a group buy at the moment. This what it says:

Wordfast Classic and Wordfast PRO may be purchased individually for 70% of the bundled price. Participants of this TGB will be presented with options to buy Wordfast Classic OR Wordfast PRO for 275 Euros, or the bundled package Wordfast Studio including Wordfast Classic AND Wordfast PRO for 400 Euros - a savings of 20%.

I think it depends on what type of texts you generally translate. My work is 90% in Word so Wordfast Classic is perfect for me. I also use Classic for the occasional Excel file I get, but I use Pro for Powerpoint. Pro can be used on more file types, so if you work with other programs it may be more useful for you.

Giuseppe Bellone
Italy
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Kate Mar 5, 2011

My concern was also about having two programs working together (Word and Wordfst classic), which might create possible conflicts between them, or at least that's what Im afraid of.
Thank you for your answer.
MisterBeppe

PCovs
Denmark
Member (2003)
English to Danish
+ ...
Buy what you need Mar 5, 2011

There has never been a conflict between the two on any of my computers, so I don't think it's a problem.
(I have never seen this option to chose either one at a reduced price - sorry.)

*If you only need a tool to handle Word files, then buy the Classic version only.
*If your client regularly requests bilingual word files, but you also need to be able to handle other file formats, then buy the bundle.
*If you have no need for bilingual word files, then buy the Pro version only. (please note, that some clients asking you to use Trados for a word file would never know the difference if you use Wordfast Classic for this job, as they are 100% compatible.)

Hope this helps a littleicon_wink.gif

Giuseppe Bellone
Italy
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks PCovs Mar 5, 2011

... for your new answer. Now I have some ideas.
Have a nice week-end.
MisterBeppe

Alma de Kok  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
Polish to Dutch
+ ...
Translation memory Mar 5, 2011

One of the advantages of PRO over Classic is that you can use more TM's and more glossaries in one project. That's the reason I work only in PRO now. I have two clients who both send me jobs about kitchen appliances. I have separate TM's for both of them, but sometimes it's useful to get matches from the other client's TM. In Classic you can use one TM and one background TM. The same with glossaries. In Classic you can max. use 3 at a time. In PRO it is possible to use more.

In favour of Classic: It's easier to tweak according to you own preferences (in PAndora's Box).

But... I only use PRO now.

Regards,
Alma

Giuseppe Bellone
Italy
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
OK Alma Mar 5, 2011

... thanks for explaining the difference. As I'm new to using CAT tools you may imagine my doubts.icon_smile.gif
Have a nice weekend,
MisterBeppe

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 15:11
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Pro is ok for some occasions Mar 6, 2011

But I prefer to work in Word with Classic. I can always edit and segment the source text so I got reasonable units. But in Pro I like the feature that it can translate one Excel column and put the translation into the column I select.

Giuseppe Bellone
Italy
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Heinrich Mar 6, 2011

for your help as well.
Have a nice day,
MisterBeppe

Krzysztof Kajetanowicz (X)  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Power Point Mar 6, 2011

I've been translating a number of rather large .ppt presentations recently. Classic can't handle them.

PRO is invaluable as the text is spread among a large number of boxes - imagine having to do it without a CAT tool, jumping from box to box and replacing source text with target.

In once case I translated a file that had a read-only font. It meant that I couldn't edit the file in MS Power Point without changing the font (and I wouldn't have been able to change it back). Thus, neither translating nor any editing in Power Point was an option. PRO handled it beautifully and produced a target file in the original font, something Power Point was uncapable of.

Giuseppe Bellone
Italy
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Krzysztof Mar 6, 2011

and I suppose Pro can do all the other things done by Classic anyway.
Have a nice day.
MisterBeppe

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast Classic vs Wordfast Pro

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search