Thread poster: Mauro Lando

Mauro Lando  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 06:37
Member (2004)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Mar 7, 2011

Could anyone tell me step by step how to use Wordfast in an excel file? Thanks!

Direct link Reply with quote

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 10:37
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Wordfast pro Mar 7, 2011

Hide the columns and rows you don't want or need to translate.

Start WFP, load the excel-file, upon which the wizard will start. Either chose simple or advanced. Advanced makes it possible that the translation is put into the column you choose.
In Classic I always copy the content to Word and copy the translation back, but since I own Pro I use Pro.

Brazil
Member (2004)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks ! Mar 7, 2011

Thank you sooo much Henrich. In fact I use the Classic, and a friend advised me to look in the WF Manual. I am so used to the idea that manuals are useless that it had not occurred to me to look it up. And there it was, it is so easy! Just open a blank word document, place the cursor in the first cell in tje excel file and start translating in the Word file.. Miraculously, the text will appear. Thanks anyway, cheers, Mauro

Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
True, but Mar 8, 2011

you can translate the file in one go, but never go back and change anything. At least ASFAIK. Pro is better.

Laurent KRAULAND  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 09:37
French to German
+ ...
That's correct Mar 8, 2011

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

you can translate the file in one go, but never go back and change anything. At least ASFAIK. Pro is better.

That's correct. When using WFC outside of MS Word, you should ensure your translation is final as you cannot make any changes in the segments.

Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
English to Russian
+ ...
but Mar 8, 2011

why cannot we retranslate the excel file again with corrected segments?

Laurent KRAULAND  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Of course you can :) Mar 8, 2011

Sergei Tumanov wrote:

why cannot we retranslate the excel file again with corrected segments?

Of course you can, but there is a slight workflow difference between processing files in Word and doing the same in Excel or Powerpoint.

Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
more info for WFC Mar 8, 2011

http://wiki.proz.com/wiki/index.php/Translating_Excel_files_in_Wordfast

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Pro is not better Mar 8, 2011

Wordfast Pro is not better in my opinion. After using Classic I bought and installed the Pro version and was dismayed to find that the onscreen interface is not the same. I cancelled the purchase, as I much prefer the older version and it does everything I want or need it to. Excel and Word files are easy to process and I have also used it with a degree of satisfaction in PowerPoint too, although sometimes it may miss out the odd text box.

I don't really understand the idea of translating a whole XL file in one go with WF. I tried it with a well-known MT program and the results were laughable, the processsed text was largely gobbledegook and harder to understand than the original.

Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Of course Mar 8, 2011

neilmac wrote:

Wordfast Pro is not better in my opinion. After using Classic I bought and installed the Pro version and was dismayed to find that the onscreen interface is not the same. I cancelled the purchase, as I much prefer the older version and it does everything I want or need it to. Excel and Word files are easy to process and I have also used it with a degree of satisfaction in PowerPoint too, although sometimes it may miss out the odd text box.

I don't really understand the idea of translating a whole XL file in one go with WF. I tried it with a well-known MT program and the results were laughable, the processsed text was largely gobbledegook and harder to understand than the original.

WF Classic is a macro in Word, and Pro is an application like SDL Studio or SDLX.

If you use MT it is not surprising that the result is nonsense. Each segment has to be translated by yourself, using your brains. Or the MT at least will need heavy editing.

Marcin Rey  Identity Verified
Poland
Polish to French
+ ...
Werecat for ppt Mar 8, 2011

neilmac wrote:

and I have also used it with a degree of satisfaction in PowerPoint too, although sometimes it may miss out the odd text box.

Indeed direct translation of ppt in doc with WF is tricky. However, let you use Werecat http://www.volny.cz/ddaduc/werecat.html It really makes a great job by sending the ppt contents into a word file, where you can translate it as usual in WFC, than sends it back to ppt while keeping the formatting.

Brazil
Member (2004)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all Mar 8, 2011

Thank you all for your very valuable advise. In fact I should have looked up the Manual before bothering you guys, but eentually I got this wealth of information. Being an almost digitally excluded 69 years old, I stick to the classic, that is fine with me. Thank you all. Mauro - Rio de Janeiro

Laurent KRAULAND wrote:

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

That's correct. When using WFC outside of MS Word, you should ensure your translation is final as you cannot make any changes in the segments.

veratek
Brazil
French to English
+ ...
beware Mar 8, 2011

I don't know if I did something wrong, but in my last excel translation with wordfast classic, wf didn't update half of the file. I tried a lot of different things and nothing. So I manually copied and pasted the translation for each cell, and as a result, there was one error in the final file. Part of the contents of one cell were hidden from view and when I pasted, I only pasted the translation corresponding to the visible content, not realizing I wasn't seeing the whole text.

My advice is if you have big job to do, make sure you really play around with wf and excel, before starting the job, so you know if it's going to work.

xxxNMR
France
French to Dutch
+ ...
You can copy the whole column Mar 8, 2011

veratek wrote:

So I manually copied and pasted the translation for each cell, and as a result, there was one error in the final file. Part of the contents of one cell were hidden from view and when I pasted, I only pasted the translation corresponding to the visible content, not realizing I wasn't seeing the whole text.

My advice is if you have big job to do, make sure you really play around with wf and excel, before starting the job, so you know if it's going to work.

You can copy the whole column into Word. Use the link Lori gives above, "alternative method 2". Paste the column into Word, translate it, clean it, and copy it back into Excel, then, if necessary, adapt the length of the cells until you see everything.

If there are line breaks within the cells, you'll have to delete them before copying back the cells or column into Excel. This is not a WF error but an incompatibility between Word and Excel.

Proceed with small samples until you know what you are doing. The other advantage of this method is that you can keep the bilingual Word file.

Translating Excel files directly in Word is a bit tricky, because sometimes the macro copies back hidden text and tags. Therefore, the only solutions are alternative method 2 with WF Classic, or WF Pro.

Brazil
Member (2004)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
many thanks Mar 8, 2011

Dear Vera, thank you very very much. In fact I use WF classic - I have finished the excel files and WF behaved flawlessly.

veratek wrote:

I don't know if I did something wrong, but in my last excel translation with wordfast classic, wf didn't update half of the file. I tried a lot of different things and nothing. So I manually copied and pasted the translation for each cell, and as a result, there was one error in the final file. Part of the contents of one cell were hidden from view and when I pasted, I only pasted the translation corresponding to the visible content, not realizing I wasn't seeing the whole text.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast for Excel

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search