TM Editor Reverse Source & Target removed all Source segments!
Thread poster: B D Finch

B D Finch  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 14:59
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Mar 7, 2011

I have had a Wf memory with the Source text as EN-GB and Target as FR-FR. I opened it as the BTM in Wordfast Classic version 5.91i and, after having looked at it in Edit, in the Tools tab I used the special filter "Reverse Source and Target", which appeared to work until I looked at the TM in Edit and saw that all the French text was there, but the English text had disappeared. I opened the TM file in Wordpad, which confirmed that the English text had gone.

Though I saved the reversed TM file under a different file name, the original file seems to have disappeared too! What can I do? Can I restore the file from an OLD file? How?

Barbara

Direct link Reply with quote

John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to English
Use .old or .bak file Mar 8, 2011

Hi Barbara,

You can try to get it back by opening the .old or .bak files. I always recommend making a copy of your TM before doing any editing. If all goes as plan, you can trash the copy. Easiest way is to copy the entire TM folder.

Best wishes from Rio,

John Di Rico
Wordfast Trainer
www.wordfast.fr

B D Finch  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks John Mar 8, 2011

I managed to restore the file, though I must admit to being less than sure what I did that worked, because I was fiddling around for some time before getting sorted out. I shall certainly be more careful in future to copy the file first. I really don't understand what the .old files are. Can you explain?

Is it safer to reverse source and target using Olifant, rather than within the Wordfast editing function?

Barbara

[Edited at 2011-03-08 18:07 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TM Editor Reverse Source & Target removed all Source segments!

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search