Thread poster: vollebregt

vollebregt  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 16:48
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
Mar 11, 2011

Hi guys,

I am having a problem with Wordfast and missing delimiter marks ({ }).

I received a txml file from a client to proofread (about 7000 words), I made the necessary changes in the target column and then saved the file. I then saved the translated file so I could see what the word document looked like. When I went back to wordfast to make one or two changes, I noticed that a large number of delimiter marks were suddenly missing - from row 130 onwards, and then some have been left behind in various rows but many are missing.

I normally use Trados, and have only performed 4 or 5 small projects in Wordfast so am not so experienced in this software.

The version I am using is a demo version, which states it only holds up to 500 translation units. I did not think that this would have an effect on a proofreading project, nor have anything to do with the delimiter marks.

I have about 3 hours before I need to submit the project to the client. Any ideas???

Australia
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
Clarification of delimiter marks Mar 11, 2011

At least I think they are called delimiter marks - they look like {ut1} or {ut2} etc...

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 08:48
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
How does the translation look like Mar 11, 2011

If the target text is ok, I wouln't worry.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 07:48
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Marieke Mar 11, 2011

Marieke Vollebregt wrote:
I am having a problem with Wordfast and missing delimiter marks ({ }).

Those are formatting marks. Missing formatting marks shouldn't result in missing text -- it just results in unformatted text. Still, if these marks disappear spontaneously, then it is disconcerting.

The version I am using is a demo version, which states it only holds up to 500 translation units. I did not think that this would have an effect on a proofreading project, nor have anything to do with the delimiter marks.

No, I don't think the 500 TU limit has anything to do with it. The limit relates to the translation memory size, and not to the TXML file size. The TXML file's existence or integrity does not depend on the TM.

I have about 3 hours before I need to submit the project to the client. Any ideas???

I'm as baffled as you are. Sorry, I don't proofread TXML files in WFP myself -- I just wanted to comment on what you said above.

Heinrich Pesch wrote:
If the target text is ok, I wouln't worry.

I myself would still worry, because the TXML file is the file to be delivered to the client, after all. If the client sees the missing formatting marks, he might think that I had deliberately removed them and that I don't care about formatting. (!)

[Edited at 2011-03-11 08:06 GMT]

Australia
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
Still a mystery Mar 11, 2011

Thanks for your responses!

I see where you're coming from Heinrich, but the target text had a lot of reference numbers in it that were not in the correct font size (e.g. "...demonstrated in several studies709, 708). I've just spent the last 2 hours reformatting the document so at least the target document is ok.

>I myself would still worry, because the TXML file is the file to be delivered to the client, >after all. If the client sees the missing formatting marks, he might think that I had >deliberately removed them and that I don't care about formatting
I agree, this document is part of a much bigger document to which ongoing changes are being made and I believe the txml is important to the client.

In any case, it also makes me worry about using Wordfast for the next project.

You say you don't proofread TXML files in Wordfast Samuel, what do you use?

Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:48
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Easy way to find missing placeables {ut} Mar 11, 2011

Hi, I don't know why this happened, but this should help you place all the missing placeables, this won't place the placeables in for you, but will at lest show you were they are missing so you can put them in.

Go to Edit > Preferences > Transcheck

Click on enable Transcheck and click the box next to Placeable, then you have two options next to placeable one is "error" and the other "warning" the difference between these is that with error the program will stop at each segment missing a placeable and with warning it won't stop and will just put a warning sign next to each missing placeable, this time you are probably better off using error and fixing each problem as it finds it.

After choosing your options click on OK and then press Ctrl+Shift+Q this will start the Transcheck process

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help needed ASAP: half delimiters in Wordfast have disappeared

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search