https://www.proz.com/forum/wordfast_support/194054-updating_tm_after_final_revision_of_translated_text.html

Updating TM after final revision of translated text
Thread poster: John Cutler
John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:02
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mar 11, 2011

Hi I’d like to know if there’s a solution for this problem. I use Wordfast v.5.56t.

I’ve created a TM to translate a document. I finished the translation, did the clean up of the memory, but then revised and corrected the document. Now, of course, my TM is not the same as the final corrected/revised version of the document.

My questions are:

Is there a way to update the TM based on the final version of my document? (I know how to edit the TM, but don
... See more
Hi I’d like to know if there’s a solution for this problem. I use Wordfast v.5.56t.

I’ve created a TM to translate a document. I finished the translation, did the clean up of the memory, but then revised and corrected the document. Now, of course, my TM is not the same as the final corrected/revised version of the document.

My questions are:

Is there a way to update the TM based on the final version of my document? (I know how to edit the TM, but don’t really want to have to go along making changes one by one.)

What would be the typical order for the memory clean-up/final correction process?

For example:

(First draft translation>spell-check>clean-up)

(Rough draft translation>clean-up>modifying the TM>spell-check)?

Other?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Collapse

Oleksandr Ivanov
Oleksandr Ivanov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 22:02
Member (2008)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
This is what I usually do Mar 11, 2011

My normal working procedure is very similar to the first one you described: [first draft] - [spellcheck] - [review] - [another spellcheck] - [clean-up]. Review and another spellcheck are helpful, but optional. However, the clean-up is usually the last step in my process. By doing so, I keep my TMs up to date.

As regards your particular situation, you can rename your uncleaned *.bak file into something like *_correct.doc, replicate the corrections from the cleaned document manually,
... See more
My normal working procedure is very similar to the first one you described: [first draft] - [spellcheck] - [review] - [another spellcheck] - [clean-up]. Review and another spellcheck are helpful, but optional. However, the clean-up is usually the last step in my process. By doing so, I keep my TMs up to date.

As regards your particular situation, you can rename your uncleaned *.bak file into something like *_correct.doc, replicate the corrections from the cleaned document manually, and clean it up. It should commit all segments to the memory. Use Ctrl-, to toggle the visibility of the source text. I usually turn it on in order not to mess up the segment delimiters, just in case.

Regards!

[Edited at 2011-03-11 18:21 GMT]
Collapse

Izabela Szczypka
Izabela Szczypka  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Polish
+ ...
TM reversals Mar 11, 2011

I normally try to do everything before cleaning up the file, but since you've already cleaned it... and in the hope the file is not huge:
1. Make a copy of the final version you have
2. Reverse your TM (target->source)
3. Use the reversed TM for a nearly-automatic back-translation, thus incorporating all and any changes you've made
4. Reverse the TM again and name it.
In this way you should arrive at a proper source-target TM.
The efficiency of the procedure
... See more
I normally try to do everything before cleaning up the file, but since you've already cleaned it... and in the hope the file is not huge:
3. Use the reversed TM for a nearly-automatic back-translation, thus incorporating all and any changes you've made
In this way you should arrive at a proper source-target TM.
The efficiency of the procedure depends on the balance of file length and number of corrections. Sometimes it pays better than a manual TM update, other times it doesn't.
Collapse

Oleksandr Ivanov
Oleksandr Ivanov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 22:02
Member (2008)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
Good idea! Mar 11, 2011

Iza Szczypka wrote:

This is a good idea I haven't thought about, so thanks! It may prove to be a good solution for some situations.

Natasha Dupuy
Natasha Dupuy  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Ctrl , Mar 11, 2011

Oleksandr Ivanov wrote:

Use Ctrl-, to toggle the visibility of the source text. I usually turn it on in order not to mess up the segment delimiters, just in case.

Regards!

[Edited at 2011-03-11 18:21 GMT]

I used to clean up the doc before doing the final English-only proofread, so of course my TM never fully matched the final doc. Then I learnt the Ctrl , (control key + comma) command and it changed my life.

Now I proof English against French, then Ctrl , (twice) to get an English only version, run spell check, read through and make any necessary changes, spell check again
Ctrl , again to get back to bilingual and clean the whole lot up.

You have to be careful not to break the segments though when working in the English only version. To avoid breaking anything, if I have to change anything at the very beginning or very end of a segment I hit Alt + Arr down to bring it back to bilingual.

John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good ideas Mar 14, 2011

Thanks a zillion for the info!! I'll try out your suggestions.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Updating TM after final revision of translated text

Translation news related to Wordfast

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »