Is partial filling of segments possible like in Trados?
Thread poster: Stefan Stefanov

Stefan Stefanov  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 15:03
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Mar 19, 2011

Hello,

This is a question I hadn't considered before, although I've been using WF for several years now.

Can WF supply partial matches in the new segments, e.g.
Wash drawer using the 3-step method, and allow to air dry before replacing.

The bold parts are phrases I have already translated. Can WF insert the translation from the TM into the newly opened segment, like Trados does?

I really need this now, because I have taken a very large project with about 40% repetitions at the word level, but not at the segment level, and the client is not paying for the repetitions at WF analysis says they are 100% matches.

Of course, this would also save me time.

Direct link Reply with quote

Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 14:03
French to English
No Mar 19, 2011

Not to my knowledge (for WFC). You can set your fuzzy threshold really low, and that might give some results, but for sentences that long, I'm not sure how well it would work.

You would be better off using the glossary features and propogation options in PB, along with copy source... read about "propogate 1" in the instructions!

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
No Mar 19, 2011

Tell your customer that he has to pay for all segments with less than 100% matches. If they don't want to pay for single words they can buy a dictionary and try to translate the stuff themselves.

Bulgaria
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Will try Mar 19, 2011

Hello,

Thanks for your answers.

I forgot to mention I am using WF Pro. I have set up a glossary but that's not of much help. I have also lowered the fuzzy threshold to 60% and this does help, but not much, not as much as I'd like it to.

I will try to negotiate payment of all non 100% matches: I hope the agency I am working for shows some understanding.

EDIT: the number of matches should be counted when the project is completed, shouldn't it?

[Edited at 2011-03-19 21:06 GMT]

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
No again Mar 20, 2011

Stefan Stefanov wrote:

Hello,

Thanks for your answers.

I forgot to mention I am using WF Pro. I have set up a glossary but that's not of much help. I have also lowered the fuzzy threshold to 60% and this does help, but not much, not as much as I'd like it to.

I will try to negotiate payment of all non 100% matches: I hope the agency I am working for shows some understanding.

EDIT: the number of matches should be counted when the project is completed, shouldn't it?

[Edited at 2011-03-19 21:06 GMT]

The number of 100% matches must be counted before you start to translate, after application of the customer's TM. The customer can determine this before sending the PO, so they know how much you have to translate. When you are done all segments are 100 % matches of course.

Bulgaria
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Empty TM Mar 20, 2011

Hi Heinrich,

Thanks for answering. But what about if the agency sent me an empty TM, which is a no TM, in fact?

EDIT: I realised my next question is not related to the title of this thread, so I am posting it in a new thread.

[Edited at 2011-03-20 09:17 GMT]

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Two separate issues Mar 20, 2011

Stefan Stefanov wrote:
Can WF supply partial matches in the new segments...?

No. If you add smaller phrases to the glossary, WF can automatically insert those.

...and the client is not paying for the repetitions at WF analysis says they are 100% matches.

These partial matches won't show up as "100% matches" in WF's analysis. WF's analysis is on full segments only.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Yes, empty TM Mar 20, 2011

Stefan Stefanov wrote:
105,965 words total
repetitions: 43,775 words ---- 48%
0-74%: 62,190 words --- 52%
75% - 84% = 0
85% - 94% = 0
95% - 99% = 0
100% = 0

The above figures are typical of an empty TM. The "repetitions" are whole segments that occur in the text more than once (the first instance of a repetition isn't counted as a repetition).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is partial filling of segments possible like in Trados?

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search