Using the align tool in Plus tools
Thread poster: Jessie Nelson

Jessie Nelson  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:58
French to English
Mar 24, 2011

Hi everyone,
I have just downloaded and added the Plus tool to Microsoft Word 2007.
The instructions say to open the two files, which I have done. I opened the files separately, as I dont know how to open them without closing Word and re-opening with the 2nd file. I am new at Wordfasrt.
I have found the Plus tools in the "Add-in" area. But nothing happens. What to I do next to align the files.
Regards,
Jessie

Direct link Reply with quote

Claire Cox
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:58
French to English
+ ...
Plus Tools toolbar Mar 24, 2011

Hi Jessie,

When you say you've got Plus Tools in Add-ins, I assume you mean under Add-ins and templates on the Word Tools menu? Under toolbars, you should then be able to check the box to make the Plus Tools toolbar visible at the top of the page and then I think if you click on the PlusTools symbol at the left- hand side, you should be able to click on Align at the top of the page that comes up, then follow the instructions by opening the two files and clicking start alignment. Once alignment has finished, you'll end up with a table with two columns of text, and you need to go through and make sure that each source cell corresponds to each target cell, cutting, pasting and moving cells up or down as appropriate. Sometimes the grammar is different or spurious full stops in the source cause segments to be created where none exist, so it is worth checking carefully. Once you've finished, you click on Create TM on the align screen and you should have a new TM, ready to go.

HTH,

Claire

esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:58
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
Alt+F2 Mar 24, 2011

In Word 2007, PlutTools tends to be kinda hidden. Just press Alt+F2 to call up it.

United States
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Using the align tool in Plus tools Mar 24, 2011

Hello and thank you for your response.
I have gotten as far as opening the two files, but I cant find anything that is a command "align".
Jessie

Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 11:58
French to English
See below Mar 24, 2011

First, make sure you see this in your add-ins menus

Photobucket

Then, you should use Alt-F2 to call up the plus tools menu which should look like this:

Photobucket

After you start aligning, it should look like this, with the tool bar on top to merge/split etc (or use the keyboard shortcuts that are listed in the status bar below)

Photobucket

Lars Jelking  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 12:58
Member (2006)
English to Swedish
+ ...
It's more to it! Mar 24, 2011

In order to align two document and create a TM (I assume that’s what you want to do??) you first have to segment them. That is done in Wordfast under the tools tab. When you have the segmented files you can align them in PlusTools.

The procedure is a bit complicated, so I suggest you download the Wordfast and PlusTool manuals from www.wordfast.com and follow the instruction there.

Good luck

Claire Cox
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
@ Lars Mar 24, 2011

You don't have to segment them first: it works perfectly well as I attempted to explain last night and Lori has shown on her screenshots. You can presumably segment them first (in which case you'd tick the box shown in the second screenshot), but you certainly don't have to. It is quite simple really - once you know how!

France
French to English
not necessary to segment beforehand Mar 24, 2011

It is possible to do, but certainly not necessary.

Downloading the manual is a good idea though, if you haven't already done so.

United States
French to English
TOPIC STARTER

Ah, now I see the problem.
When I add the Plus tppls, and click OK, it does not stay checked.
When I reopen, the check is gone, and Wordfast does not appear at all.
Ideas?
Jessie

By the way, I have downloaded the manuel and had it bound at Staples, but it does not seem to be helping this problem.
The people at Wordfast tell me there is no support for Plus Tools.

France
French to English
common issue Mar 24, 2011

I don't use plustools all the time, so I just check it in the add-ins menu whenever I need to use it. It will stay checked as long as you don't close Word. If you close Word inadvertently, you will need to go back to the menu and re-check it.

If you want it to stay checked all the time, try moving plustools.dot to your word startup folder, then add it again to your add-ins list. The path to the right folder is:

Windows Vista or 7

C:\Users\[YOUR USER NAME]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP

Windows XP/2000

C:\Documents and Settings\[YOUR USER NAME]\Application Data\Microsoft\Word\Startup

United States
French to English
TOPIC STARTER

Hello Lori and everyone,
Thanks for taking the time to reply.
I see what you mean.
The check does go away, if you change the macros back from restricted enable to admit all.
Your solution sounds like a good one.
Final question: How did you get "Wordfast" to appear in the Add-in pane. It is not on my menu to enable adding.
Jessie

France
French to English
startup folder Mar 24, 2011

put wordfast.dot in the same startup folder mentioned above, then click "add" and navigate to that folder to add it, then you can check it

United States
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Using the align tool in Plus tools Mar 26, 2011

Hello Lori,
How do you get the "Wordfast.dot to appear in the list so you can add it.
I have clicked on everything I can find, but cant get it to appear.
Jessie

France
French to English
more screen shots Mar 26, 2011

...but first a few basics because you didn't give many details (I gather you haven't yet actually used wordfast?):

1) Did you download wordfast.dot and unzip it?

2) Note the location where the unzipped wordfast.dot is saved on your computer

3) Read the installation instructions in case I'm forgetting any important steps

4) You need to "display hidden files" first to be able to find the word startup folder I mentioned previously, see below screenshot (access this menu when you are in the "my computer" file tree by clicking on "tools" then "options" or something like that in English

Photobucket

5) Now that you have unhidden the files, you can navigate to the correct location I mentioned above (and you can also see the path in above screenshot). Copy wordfast.dot from wherever you put it and paste it here in the startup folder. You can also put plustools.dot here if you want (that way it can stay checked all the time)

6) Now back to the add-ins menu, click "add" and navigate to the word startup folder and selected wordfast.dot, it should now appear in the list and you can check it.

Photobucket

The last word: I wholeheartedly recommend investing in some face-to-face training for Wordfast, it really helped me when I was getting started, obviously reading the instructions is important, but honestly, there were several concepts I just never could grasp by reading the instructions, when I finally got some training, after struggling for months, it all suddenly made sense!

Danielle Martins
United Kingdom
English to Portuguese
Wordfast training Sep 28, 2011

Hello everyone,

Does anybody know where I can have a face to face Wordfast training in London? I really appreciate if someone can give me this information!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Using the align tool in Plus tools

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search