Thread poster: Stefan Stefanov

Stefan Stefanov  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 23:41
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Mar 24, 2011

Hello,

I have encountered a problem when trying to Save Translated File of a PDF file I was working on.

This time, I'd decided not to first convert the PDF to DOC but use Wordfast Pro's built in PDF converter. It worked alright, although the file was rather large (72p) but now, when I try to save the ready translation, I can't.

When I choose "Save Translated File" from the menu, I get the "No original file" dialog that lets me locate the source file, but then I get another warning dialog:
You can't open this location using this program. Please try a different location.

When I click OK, the browse window remains open but the file type filter only lets me look for DOC files (not even DOCX, or RTF).

So, how do I get the ready translation in a format I can deliver to my client?

Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 22:41
English to Arabic
DOC, yes! Mar 24, 2011

Dear Stefan,

When you open a PDF in Wordfast Pro, it is converted into a DOC and this is actually what is translated in WFP. So when you are asked to locate the source file, you have to locate the DOC file automatically generated in the same folder as the PDF.

I hope this helps.

---
Best regards,
Yasmin Moslem

Wordfast Support Team
www.wordfast.com | www.wordfast.net

Bulgaria
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
RFT Mar 24, 2011

Yasmin Moslem wrote:

Dear Stefan,

When you open a PDF in Wordfast Pro, it is converted into a DOC and this is actually what is translated in WFP. So when you are asked to locate the source file, you have to locate the DOC file automatically generated in the same folder as the PDF.

I hope this helps.

---
Best regards,
Yasmin Moslem

Wordfast Support Team

Hi Yasmin,

Thanks, but this doesn't really help much. In fact, WFP has created a RTF file (xxx.pdf.rtf) and it cannot be located (seen) because WFP is looking for a DOC file.

Why did it create an RTF file in the first place then, when it will only use a DOC file as source file?

Egypt
English to Arabic
It should be DOC Mar 24, 2011

Dear Stefan,

Could you please let me know your WFP version (Help > About Wordfast) and for which operating system.

Many thanks in advance!

Bulgaria
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
WFP version Mar 24, 2011

Yasmin Moslem wrote:

Dear Stefan,

Could you please let me know your WFP version (Help > About Wordfast) and for which operating system.

Many thanks in advance!

Hi Yasmin,

I am using the latest WFP, v. 2.4.1, running on Win 7 Ultimate x64, and I have MS Word 2010.

Thanks.

[Edited at 2011-03-24 22:04 GMT]

Egypt
English to Arabic
Pre-Translate Mar 24, 2011

Dear Stefan,

Please open the MS Word file (regardless of its extension) in Wordfast Pro as if you are going to translate. Then, use the TM to pre-translate the generated TXML by clicking the toolbar button "Translate All".

I hope this helps.

---
Best regards,
Yasmin Moslem

Wordfast Support Team

Bulgaria
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It helped Mar 24, 2011

Yes, it helped!

Thank you, Yasmin!

The question, however, remains open as why WFP creates an RTF file when reading a PDF file, which is an extension that it cannot detect later, when the translatior tries to save the finished translation.

I believe this is a bug.

Ihave just tried to open a different PDF file while the RTF TXML was open and I encounered a problem:

After clicking OK in the dialog telling me opening PDF files could take time, three error dialogs appear on top of each other as seen on the attached screenshot - as soon as the foremost dialog is closed, the other two are closed to so I can't click the "Details" button for more information.

This happened with two different files.

* I don't seem to be able to add an image to this post so here's a link to my site where I uploaded the screenshot: http://cheeseus.org/downloads/WF_PDF_error.gif

EDIT: I closed the open TXML file and restarted WFP. Then I tried opening the sam e files and they loaded, but there were no translatable segments in them.

A third file worked file. So, this is probably connected to the file that was open while trying to open the PDFs.

[Edited at 2011-03-24 22:35 GMT]

Egypt
English to Arabic
PDF Mar 24, 2011

Dear Stefan,

Stefan Stefanov wrote:

The question, however, remains open as why WFP creates an RTF file when reading a PDF file, which is an extension that it cannot detect later, when the translatior tries to save the finished translation.

I believe this is a bug.

This should be fixed in the next release.

Stefan Stefanov wrote:

Ihave just tried to open a different PDF file while the RTF TXML was open and I encounered a problem:

After clicking OK in the dialog telling me opening PDF files could take time, three error dialogs appear on top of each other as seen on the attached screenshot - as soon as the foremost dialog is closed, the other two are closed to so I can't click the "Details" button for more information.

This happened with two different files.

* I don't seem to be able to add an image to this post so here's a link to my site where I uploaded the screenshot: http://cheeseus.org/downloads/WF_PDF_error.gif

Are they editable, or just including scanned text?

Bulgaria
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Lo-fi PDF Mar 24, 2011

The files are low quality PDFs of scanned printed text.

I have tried to reproduce the error but I couldn't - I tried directly opening a PDF while different TXMLs were opened, including the ones that caused the problem.

This must have been a temporary issue then.

But you might want to consider another problem: the Send Bug report option in WFP doesn't work - Error: http://support1.wordfast.com/wf6/sendReport.html

Thanks!

[Edited at 2011-03-24 22:47 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-03-24 22:49 GMT]

François-Xavier Pâque
Belgium
Member (2010)
Russian to French
+ ...
next release Mar 25, 2011

Dear Yasmin,

Talking about the next release, do you have any idea of a date it might be released, for the same problem on mac osx (pdf filter doesn't work), is really something I am looking to get fixed.

Thanks a lot

Egypt
English to Arabic
Not for Mac Mar 26, 2011

François-Xavier Pâque wrote:

Dear Yasmin,

Talking about the next release, do you have any idea of a date it might be released, for the same problem on mac osx (pdf filter doesn't work), is really something I am looking to get fixed.

Thanks a lot

Dear François-Xavier,

This (2.x) will not include a PDF filter for Mac, anyhow.

In the meanwhile, you can use "Automator".

---
Best regards,
Yasmin Moslem

Wordfast Support Team

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can't Save Translated File of PDF TXML in WFP

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search