Is there a way to remove all target placeables at one time?
Thread poster: PT Translati (X)

PT Translati (X)
United States
Local time: 03:24
Japanese to English
Mar 29, 2011

Been translating a document and copying placeables as I go. I've decided I don't want the placeables (they're mostly indentations) anymore and want to handle indentations/tabs manually in word.

Is there a way to simply remove all placeables in the target column of my WF pro txml file? I'm hoping I don't have to go through each segment and remove them.

Thanks in advance!

Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:24
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
No Mar 29, 2011

Sorry to say I don't believe such a feature exists, can only suggest you ask Wordfast support directly.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
WFC Mar 30, 2011

PT Translation wrote:
Is there a way to simply remove all placeables in the target column of my WF pro txml file? I'm hoping I don't have to go through each segment and remove them.

In WFC you can do that on a per-segment basis using Ctrl+Alt+X. I'm not sure if that works in WFP (and even if it does, you'd still have to do it per segment). Pre-filling target fields with placeables is not limited to WFP -- Idiom also does that (and it can be annoying).

Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
English to Arabic
? Mar 30, 2011

Samuel Murray wrote:

PT Translation wrote:

In WFC you can do that on a per-segment basis using Ctrl+Alt+X. I'm not sure if that works in WFP (and even if it does, you'd still have to do it per segment). Pre-filling target fields with placeables is not limited to WFP -- Idiom also does that (and it can be annoying).

I am not sure if I misunderstand PT Translation's question or Samuel's answer. Wordfast Pro also has Ctrl+Alt+X and Alt+Delete per segment; moreover, it has Shift+Alt+Delete to clear ALL the target segments at the same time.

Still, neither in WFC nor in WFP Ctrl+Alt+X (or Shift+Alt+Delete) will remove only placeables; it will rather clear the target.

Kind regards,
Yasmin

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
WFC Mar 30, 2011

Yasmin Moslem wrote:
Still, neither in WFC nor in WFP Ctrl+Alt+X (or Shift+Alt+Delete) will remove only placeables; it will rather clear the target.

In WFC, on my computer, if the target field contains placeables marked up in tw4winInternal, plus some text, pressing Ctrl+Alt+X once will delete all placeables without deleting the text.

Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
English to Arabic
Got it! Mar 30, 2011

Samuel Murray wrote:

In WFC, on my computer, if the target field contains placeables marked up in tw4winInternal, plus some text, pressing Ctrl+Alt+X once will delete all placeables without deleting the text.

Dear Samuel,

Thanks for the clarification. I have just requested this feature.

Thanks for your feedback!

Kind regards,
Yasmin

PT Translati (X)
United States
Local time: 03:24
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all for contributing. Mar 30, 2011

Thank you all for contributing. I understand currently there is no such feature in WF Pro. For the time being, I will just adjust as needed in MS WORD.

But yes, it'd be great if such a feature can be added to WF Pro.

Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
WFC Mar 30, 2011

Samuel Murray wrote:

You learn something every day...

Titus Haennni  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to French
+ ...
Looking forward to it! May 17, 2011

Yasmin Moslem wrote:

I have just requested this feature.

I happen to be working on a project where precisely this feature might reveal itself handy, if not priceless. Fingers crossed on not needing it in the end, but it will be a great addition.

Regards, and thanks for your tireless support, Yasmin.

Pavel Zalutski  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:24
English to Russian
+ ...
Does Wordfast 3 have this? Oct 17, 2012

I know the new Wordfast 3 is out; does it have this feature?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is there a way to remove all target placeables at one time?

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search