Is there a way to remove all target placeables at one time?
Thread poster: xxxPT Translati
xxxPT Translati
United States
Local time: 07:30
Japanese to English
Mar 29, 2011

Been translating a document and copying placeables as I go. I've decided I don't want the placeables (they're mostly indentations) anymore and want to handle indentations/tabs manually in word.

Is there a way to simply remove all placeables in the target column of my WF pro txml file? I'm hoping I don't have to go through each segment and remove them.

Thanks in advance!

Direct link Reply with quote

Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:30
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
No Mar 29, 2011

Sorry to say I don't believe such a feature exists, can only suggest you ask Wordfast support directly.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
WFC Mar 30, 2011

PT Translation wrote:
Is there a way to simply remove all placeables in the target column of my WF pro txml file? I'm hoping I don't have to go through each segment and remove them.

In WFC you can do that on a per-segment basis using Ctrl+Alt+X. I'm not sure if that works in WFP (and even if it does, you'd still have to do it per segment). Pre-filling target fields with placeables is not limited to WFP -- Idiom also does that (and it can be annoying).

Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 17:30
English to Arabic
? Mar 30, 2011

Samuel Murray wrote:

PT Translation wrote:

In WFC you can do that on a per-segment basis using Ctrl+Alt+X. I'm not sure if that works in WFP (and even if it does, you'd still have to do it per segment). Pre-filling target fields with placeables is not limited to WFP -- Idiom also does that (and it can be annoying).

I am not sure if I misunderstand PT Translation's question or Samuel's answer. Wordfast Pro also has Ctrl+Alt+X and Alt+Delete per segment; moreover, it has Shift+Alt+Delete to clear ALL the target segments at the same time.

Still, neither in WFC nor in WFP Ctrl+Alt+X (or Shift+Alt+Delete) will remove only placeables; it will rather clear the target.

Kind regards,
Yasmin

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
WFC Mar 30, 2011

Yasmin Moslem wrote:
Still, neither in WFC nor in WFP Ctrl+Alt+X (or Shift+Alt+Delete) will remove only placeables; it will rather clear the target.

In WFC, on my computer, if the target field contains placeables marked up in tw4winInternal, plus some text, pressing Ctrl+Alt+X once will delete all placeables without deleting the text.

Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 17:30
English to Arabic
Got it! Mar 30, 2011

Samuel Murray wrote:

In WFC, on my computer, if the target field contains placeables marked up in tw4winInternal, plus some text, pressing Ctrl+Alt+X once will delete all placeables without deleting the text.

Dear Samuel,

Thanks for the clarification. I have just requested this feature.

Thanks for your feedback!

Kind regards,
Yasmin

xxxPT Translati
United States
Local time: 07:30
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all for contributing. Mar 30, 2011

Thank you all for contributing. I understand currently there is no such feature in WF Pro. For the time being, I will just adjust as needed in MS WORD.

But yes, it'd be great if such a feature can be added to WF Pro.

Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
WFC Mar 30, 2011

Samuel Murray wrote:

You learn something every day...

DrAT2  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to French
+ ...
Looking forward to it! May 17, 2011

Yasmin Moslem wrote:

I have just requested this feature.

I happen to be working on a project where precisely this feature might reveal itself handy, if not priceless. Fingers crossed on not needing it in the end, but it will be a great addition.

Regards, and thanks for your tireless support, Yasmin.

Pavel Zalutski  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:30
English to Russian
+ ...
Does Wordfast 3 have this? Oct 17, 2012

I know the new Wordfast 3 is out; does it have this feature?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is there a way to remove all target placeables at one time?

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search