Thread poster: Mariebzh

Mariebzh  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 09:26
English to French
+ ...
Apr 5, 2011

Hello,

I'm a beginner with Wordfast Classic, and I need some help here.
I received a Excel file to translate using Wordfast.
I've opened a Word doc, and manage to translate the file on it, I've manage creating a glossary as well, but here is my questions :
How do I save my translation and send it back to my client ?
and how do I save the glossary and export it to send back to my client ?

Thank you so much for your help !

Michael J.H. Davies  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2009)
English to Danish
+ ...
Saving the translation and the glossary Apr 6, 2011

Hello Marienc,

Welcome to the world of Wordfast - an extremely easy to use and, in my view, excellent CAT. I have been a user of Wf for some time now and still have a lot to learn about it's more advanced features but as far as regular use is concerned, it suits my purposes very well.

A document translated using Wf classic is just a Word document like any other - nothing special there except, of course, that it can show both source language and target language texts adjacent to each other - clearly marked using different colour backgrounds for the two sets of texts.

While working on your translation, you can choose to save your document (Word: Save As - or equivalent in your own language version if not English) as an 'uncleaned' document - i.e. with both source and target language texts. For this purpose, you could add an indication of the 2 languages in the document to the existing document name. Then you can continue working on the document at a later time / next day /etc.

Once you have finished the translation, you can then 'clean' the document, using the appropriate icon for this purpose from the Wf toolbar ('Quick clean-up' - 3rd from right) or using the key combination 'Shift+CTRL + Q'. This will remove the source language texts and leave you with a completely normal WORD document, which you then can 'Save As' using an appropriate file name (e.g. add an indication of the language of the document).

You will find the glossary in the directory location, which you have specifed when setting up the glossary in the Wf Setup (or at the default location if you have not changed the location). The glossary is just a text file that you can treat in the normal way (e.g add as an attachment to the e-mail to your client).

I hope that all is clear and wish you the best of luck with translation using Wf.

Regards,

Michael J.H. Davies,
MJD Translating,
Roskilde, Dennmark

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 10:26
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Save the Excel file Apr 6, 2011

Go to Excel and save the file. Make sure all is well.

Mariebzh  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
bilingual Excel file ? Apr 7, 2011

Thank you Michael, for your very precise and detailed explanation of the basic use of Wordfast. It's really helpful.
But I have one more question though :
My original file is an Excel doc, and has one column with the source text in English and another column where I'm supposed to enter my translation.
When I translate with Wordfast on the Word doc, my translated text ends up in lieu of the original source text in the Excel doc, how can I prevent that and have the translated text in its column ?
(not sure if this is clear !icon_wink.gif
Thanks for your help on that,

Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
English to Arabic
Copy & Hide Apr 8, 2011

Marienc wrote:

My original file is an Excel doc, and has one column with the source text in English and another column where I'm supposed to enter my translation.
When I translate with Wordfast on the Word doc, my translated text ends up in lieu of the original source text in the Excel doc, how can I prevent that and have the translated text in its column ?

Dear Marienc,

Before the start of the translation, copy your source column into the target column and the Hide the source column by right-clicking it and selecting that. Wordfast will translate only the non-hidden column(s). After you finish the translation, select all the columns (Ctrl+A, or the top corner), right-click and Unhide.

Again, for Excel files, you may like to give Wordfast Pro a try. You can download and install the latest version of Wordfast Professional available at:
http://www.wordfast.com/store_download.html

I hope this helps.

---
Best regards,
Yasmin Moslem

Wordfast Support Team
www.wordfast.com | www.wordfast.net

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to export a TM/glossary from Wordfast Classic

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search