Thread poster: Heinrich Pesch

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 05:11
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Apr 6, 2011

I tried to translate a ttx-file (from xls), but WF says, this should first be segmented in Trados. What shall I do? I tried to pretranslate in Trados WB, but after that WF says there is nothing to translate. Can anybody tell me if WFP supports ttx-format and how?
Regards
Heinrich

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 04:11
English to Czech
+ ...
Pretranslate with "copy source to target"... Apr 6, 2011

...on no match. That should be working.

Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
English to Arabic
TTX in WFP Apr 7, 2011

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

I tried to translate a ttx-file (from xls), but WF says, this should first be segmented in Trados. What shall I do? I tried to pretranslate in Trados WB, but after that WF says there is nothing to translate. Can anybody tell me if WFP supports ttx-format and how?

Dear Heinrich,

For more information about translating TTX files, please refer to this knowledge-base article:
http://www.wordfast.net/?kb=138-35

---
Best regards,
Yasmin Moslem

Wordfast Support Team
www.wordfast.com | www.wordfast.net

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 05:11
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Apr 7, 2011

I pretranslated the file again in WB with updating the document. Now WFP works.
I was reluctant to have the source segments copied into target because I thought it would stop WF from introducing matches, but this is not the case.

One wish, hope it reaches the developers: Still more functionality from Word into the editor. It would be nice if one could highlight or delete words using Ctrl+shift+right/left and backspace/delete. Now we have to double-click every time with the mouse.

Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:11
German to English
+ ...
Workaround Apr 7, 2011

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

One wish, hope it reaches the developers: Still more functionality from Word into the editor. It would be nice if one could highlight or delete words using Ctrl+shift+right/left and backspace/delete. Now we have to double-click every time with the mouse.

Heinrich, Ctrl+Shift+right/left was a big problem for me, but there is a workaround:
* Go to the Edit menu and click Preferences
* Click Keys
* Locate Select Next Word/Select Previous Word commands in the list (you'll have to do these separately)
* In the Binding box type Ctrl+Shift+right/left
* In the When box, select In Windows
* Click OK

Now you can use the usual keyboard shortcut for selecting words while translating.

Egypt
English to Arabic
Shortcuts Apr 8, 2011

Dear Heinrich,

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

I pretranslated the file again in WB with updating the document. Now WFP works.
I was reluctant to have the source segments copied into target because I thought it would stop WF from introducing matches, but this is not the case.

Again, you can use Shift+Alt+Delete to clear the target from all the segments.

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

Select Next Word: Shift+Alt+Right
Select Previous Word: Shift+Alt+Left

Delete Next Word: Ctrl+Delete
Delete Previous Word: Ctrl+BackSpace

Again, as Daina suggested, you can change the shortcuts if you are not happy with them.

I hope this helps.

---
Best regards,
Yasmin Moslem

Wordfast Support Team

Ligia Dias Costa  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 03:11
Member (2008)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TTX files and wordfast pro Apr 8, 2011

I am reading these posts for a while and always see the WF Pro can handle TTX files.

Now, the thing is, I have a pretanslated trados ttx file to edit and WF pro just tells me: invalid document format detected.

How can I edit this file, anyone?

Thanks a million for any help!

Ligia

Egypt
English to Arabic
Files, plesae! Apr 8, 2011

Ligia Dias Costa wrote:

Now, the thing is, I have a pretanslated trados ttx file to edit and WF pro just tells me: invalid document format detected.

Dear Ligia,

Have you received the pre-translated TTX via email; if so it could be corrupted. Could you please forward to me the TTX file and tell me the exact source target language locales to check and advise you. Many thanks in advance!

---
Best regards,
Yasmin Moslem

Wordfast Support Team

Peter Lubbers
Italian to Dutch
+ ...
Pretranslated TTX but still invalid document Apr 15, 2011

HI all,

I think I have the same problem Ligia has. I pretranslated the ttx document as instructed, checked it out in Tag editor to make sure it was all there but I keep getting this invalid document message.

I'm sorry but I can't send the files but if anyone can tell me where to look? Maybe it's got something to do with the Tag settings? I'm sure there is a logical explanation for this.

Please help!

Kind regards,
Peter Lubbers

Egypt
English to Arabic
MS Word Apr 15, 2011

Dear Peter,

First of all, I would recommend revising the instructions here:
http://www.wordfast.net/?kb=138-35

If this does not help, I cannot tell what is wrong with the file without seeing it, but I will tell you about one trick I used to troubleshoot Ligia's files:

- Right-click the TTX file and select to open it in MS Word (2007).
- See if MS Word will open or if will give an error message. If MS Word gives an error message, click on "Details" to see the line and column of the problem.
- See if the problem can be fixed in TagEditor; if not, open the TTX file in NotePad++ and see if there are "bad characters" in the mentioned line and column.
- Delete the "bad characters" and Save.

I usually recommend sending files via email after ZIPing them to avoid file corruption.

I hope this helps. Please keep us informed.

---
Best regards,
Yasmin Moslem

Wordfast Support Team

Peter Lubbers
Italian to Dutch
+ ...
Getting there? Apr 17, 2011

Dear Yasmin,
I had read the document so there was nothing there for me. I have tried your other suggestions though and actually Word tells me there's an error in line 1344, col. 1749. So maybe that's the reason it doesn't work. The only problem is: how do I find line 1344/col. 1749? Notepad only gets to col. 7 hundred or something?

Thanks a lot for your advice.

Kind regards,
Peter

Egypt
English to Arabic
NotePad++ Apr 17, 2011

Peter Lubbers wrote:

I have tried your other suggestions though and actually Word tells me there's an error in line 1344, col. 1749. So maybe that's the reason it doesn't work. The only problem is: how do I find line 1344/col. 1749? Notepad only gets to col. 7 hundred or something?

Dear Peter,

You can use (NotePad++). It is free. It shows the line and column at the bottom of the interface.

I hope this helps. Please let me know.

---
Best regards,
Yasmin Moslem

Wordfast Support Team

Peter Lubbers
Italian to Dutch
+ ...
Notepad++ and further... Apr 18, 2011

Dear Yasmin,

Thanks again for your prompt replies. I'm very sorry about my overseeing the ++ after Notepad!

I've downloaded the program, and opened the file, but the letter at the location indicated looks perfectly normal to me:

It woulde be the "S" of "MS". I'm not a Tag expert, but the code seems ok to me and is identical to other codes in the text. Could there be a different way of reading the lines?

(I've gone up and down the text a bit, but there are not many lines that long, and all the other lines seem to have "normal" letters.

By the way: the initial ttx was indeed sent by email (as a zip file). But to make sure that that was not the problem I've recreated a new one from the original (word) file. Same result though: error in line 1344, col. 1749!

Any suggestions?

Thanks once more and best regards,
Peter

Peter Lubbers
Italian to Dutch
+ ...
Missing tag Apr 18, 2011

Dear Yasmin,

I'm sorry: I just noticed that the quoted Tag has disappeared from my message. Here it is:

"(left arrow)df Bold="off" Font="Trebuchet MS" Size="10"(right arrow) "

The error would be in the letter M of MS
(I've removed the opening and clossing arrows out of the line)

Kind regards,
Peter

[Bijgewerkt op 2011-04-18 13:27 GMT]

Egypt
English to Arabic
Files, plesae! Apr 18, 2011

Dear Peter,

Could you please send me the TTX as well as the source file in private to check and advise you. Many thanks in advance!

---
Best regards,
Yasmin Moslem

Wordfast Support Team

[Edited at 2011-04-18 15:31 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating ttx files with in WFP

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search