Thread poster: Oliver Walter

Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:09
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
Apr 8, 2011

I was at the webinar about Wordfast 2 days ago, and I had 2 questions about licensing. I was able to ask the first and receive an answer. It was too late for the second question, so here are my 2 questions:
(WFC = WordFast Classic, for use with MS Word, WFP = WordFast Pro)
  1. Q: The duration of the licence (WFC and WFP) is 3 years; what happens at the end of those 3 years when the licence has not yet been renewed?
    A: WFC continues to work fully (but only on the installation where the current licence number is valid); WFP reverts to "demo" mode, and will therefore not work with TMs larger than about 500 segments.
  2. Q: If a user has WFP, the licence expires after 3 years, but the WordFast company no longer exists and therefore cannot issue a licence (of course, we hope that will not happen but it is possible in theory). Will it then be impossible forever to use WFP with large TMs? (and the same for WFC on a different computer of the same user)
    A: not known to me yet

I hope somebody can answer my 2nd question and that, for example, there would be some way of using WFP and WFC fully in such a situation.

Oliver

Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:09
English to French
+ ...
no different from other no-longer-existing companies Apr 8, 2011

Clearly, if Wf no longer exists, then everybody is out of luck.

FWIW, I'm not sure there is any point with working with out of date TM applications at any rate.

If Wf goes under (or if YC decides to kick his shoes off and retire on an Internet-free Pacific Island, say), I'll buy something else.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 15:09
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
My guess Apr 8, 2011

Oliver Walter wrote:
Q: If a user has WFP, the licence expires after 3 years, but the WordFast company no longer exists and therefore cannot issue a licence (of course, we hope that will not happen but it is possible in theory). Will it then be impossible forever to use WFP with large TMs?

Probably.

Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:09
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
1. "Something else"; 2. Escrow Apr 8, 2011

JL01 wrote:
Clearly, if Wf no longer exists, then everybody is out of luck.
FWIW, I'm not sure there is any point with working with out of date TM applications at any rate.

They may not be really out of date; WF and/or YC (Yves Ch.) may disappear just after the latest update is issued. In any case, the question is not whether one uses an out-of-date TM application; it is whether it serves the purpose for which the translator is using it.

If Wf goes under (or if YC decides to kick his shoes off and retire on an Internet-free Pacific Island, say), I'll buy something else.

Then you (and I) ought to ensure that our TMs are all saved in TMX format, not the simpler WF format. WFC (and, I suppose, WFP) can convert WF TMs into TMX format but it's a separate action that you need to take after, for example, each translation session.

Maybe WF should use an escrow service:
http://www.nccgroup.com/Services/software-escrow-storage-validation-verification/software-escrow-storage.aspx

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Source_code_escrow

Oliver

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Licensing

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search