Thread poster: Heinrich Pesch

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 17:44
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Apr 10, 2011

I started my first bigger project on wfp. I know there are lots of settings I can change, but perhaps its easier to ask advice.
One feature in the editor seems strange. When I have one segment active and click somewhere else, e.g. in the source segment, the program somehow acts somewhat jumpy. The background color changes, so does the fond size, and the table row even moves from its position. After that I have to search for the right cursor position again before I can do anything, e.g. highlight and copy, or edit, if I'm in a target cell.

Is this normal? It would be much more productive if only the background color would change and the cursor would appear right after the first mouseclick. Is it possible to change this feature?

Also after cntr+z (Undo) the cursor disappears. I have to click with the mouse to get things going again. The cursor should stay on place where I put it, like in other tools, e.g.SDLX.

A second questions: If I edit text above my present location, do I need to press alt+down before the changes are committed to the TM? Or can I simply press cntrl+S to save the current document?
After alt+down the program askes, if I would start from the beginning. This is somewhat silly, if I want to start from the beginning I know how to get there. Too many clicks are required at present.

[Bearbeitet am 2011-04-10 18:46 GMT]

Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:44
English to French
+ ...
More info Apr 10, 2011

What version of Wf are you using? What version of Office and of Windows?

- Ctrl+S is different from Alt+Dn: Ctrl+s saves the document, that is a Word shortcut.
Alt+Dn commits the segment to memory and switches to tne next segment. So, if you edit, Ctrl+S will save your edit while saving the document; however, if your are making change to a closed segment, theses changes will not be saved in the TM; to do that, you would have to close (Alt+Dn) the segment you are editing, then moving the cursor into the segment you want to edit, and press Alt+Dn to edit, then Alt+End to commit and close the newly-edited segment. After that, you can return to the next segment to be translated. If I understand correctly what you mean.

- The behaviors you describe are not normal. Such questions should best be asked in one of the Wf mailing lists in Yahoo Groups. Yves Champollion (the creator of Wf) is active in the English mailing list, and most likely in the French one. I don't know about other languages. However, a Finnish to French translator is very knowledgeable in the English mailing list.

Note: In the recent versions (5.92m, and all the beta 6), pressing Alt+dn (or Alt+up) returns the cursor into the current (open) segment.

Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 16:44
English to Arabic
Answers Apr 10, 2011

Dear Heinrich,

As for your first question, this behaviour is know and will be fixed. For now, you can switch to the "Text View".

As for your second question, you can press Alt+Down for each segment or just save, and then press Alt+Down at the end of the translation. But the recommended behaviour is to press Alt+Down for each segment so that you can get matches for other segments, if any.

As for the error message you have, What is your operating system?
Could you please double-check that your TM is Selected, or you can "Remove" it and "Open" again.

I hope this helps. Please let me know.

---
Best regards,
Yasmin Moslem

Wordfast Support Team
www.wordfast.com | www.wordfast.net

[Edited at 2011-04-10 02:01 GMT]

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 17:44
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Yasmin Apr 10, 2011

This is no error message. "Do you want to start from the beginning" is displayed by WFP after I press alt+End.

There was an error in my posting. I meant "alt+End", not alt+down.
If I edit older segments without pressing alt+down each time, the TM updates after I press alt+End, right?

Textview is an improvement, thanks for the hint!

Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 16:44
English to Arabic
Yes! Apr 10, 2011

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

This is no error message. "Do you want to start from the beginning" is displayed by WFP after I press alt+End.

There was an error in my posting. I meant "alt+End", not alt+down.
If I edit older segments without pressing alt+down each time, the TM updates after I press alt+End, right?

Dear Heinrich,

Yes, you are right.

As for the message, just make sure you are on the first segment when you press Alt+End so that you can just click "No" when you have the message.

I hope this helps.

---
Best regards,
Yasmin Moslem

Wordfast Support Team
www.wordfast.com | www.wordfast.net

P.S. @JL01: The question of Heinrich is rather related to Wordfast Pro (WFP).

[Edited at 2011-04-10 19:12 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast: some quirks

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search