Thread poster: Tina Vonhof

Tina Vonhof  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 23:40
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Apr 11, 2011

More than a year ago, I used a trial version of Wordfast for a short time but I did not purchase the program. However, for several months after the trial period, every time I opened a document in Word, Wordfast came up and all my Word (2003) files, even letters etc., were saved in Wordfast. Since then I have installed Microsoft Office 2010, so most of my documents are now in a different version of Word.

A few days ago I wanted to insert an ASCII character in a document (Alt-241) and all of a sudden there was Wordfast again and I was unable to return to the normal Word document. I sent an e-mail via the Wordfast website and below is their reponse:

"Wordfast is a single file: wordfast.dot. Locate that file, delete it and you should be good.
The typical location for it is:
Windows XP -> c:\documents and settings\[userrname]\application data\microsoft\word\startup"

I do have Windows XP but this location does not exist on my computer and a search for wordfast.dot has also failed to get any results. Has anyone encountered the same problem? Do you have any suggestions?

Direct link Reply with quote

Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 07:40
Member (2003)
German to Dutch
+ ...
I think your version has a Remove button Apr 11, 2011

Hi Tina,

Push Ctlr+Alt+W one or two times to open the Wordfast setup dialog. Click on Remove Wordfast on the ? tab.

Cheers,
Gerard

[Edited at 2011-04-11 15:06 GMT]

JL01  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:40
English to French
+ ...
fidn the folder Apr 11, 2011

The "Remove Wf" option is available only in recent versions.

Wordfast.dot resides in Word's Templates folder. If you don't know where the folder is, click on Tools | Options | File Locations, and look in both User templates and Workgroup templates folder. Just delete any wordfast.dot file in these folders.

That procedure is clearly explained in the Wordfast manual, which is a free download from wordfast.net, BTW.

esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:40
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
Disable it via Word settings Apr 11, 2011

Look here for the procedure: http://www.extendoffice.com/forum/8-office-tips-and-add-ins-forum/118-office-2010-add-ins-managerhow-to-addremove-add-ins.html

Instead of COM add-ins, select Word Add-ins and/or Templates to find and disable WF.

Tina Vonhof  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 23:40
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It worked! Apr 11, 2011

Thanks very much Gerard - it worked.

Esperantisto: thanks for your suggestion. It worked up to a point but I could only add, not remove, Wordfast this way.

Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
Indeed Apr 12, 2011

Tina Vonhof wrote:

Esperantisto: thanks for your suggestion. It worked up to a point but I could only add, not remove, Wordfast this way.

No, you can’t remove it this way, but you can a) disable it and b) see where it is located.

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:40
Finnish to French
"Application Data" is a hidden folder Apr 12, 2011

Tina Vonhof wrote:
I sent an e-mail via the Wordfast website and below is their reponse:

"Wordfast is a single file: wordfast.dot. Locate that file, delete it and you should be good.
The typical location for it is:
Windows XP -> c:\documents and settings\[userrname]\application data\microsoft\word\startup"

I do have Windows XP but this location does not exist on my computer

"application data" does exist, but it is a hidden folder. Hidden files and folders may not be visible in your system. Change your settings in Windows so that they are visible.

David Williams
Germany
Local time: 07:40
German to English
Free? Trial version! Apr 15, 2011

Tina Vonhof wrote:

More than a year ago, I used a trial version of Wordfast for a short time but I did not purchase the program.

I find it very annoying and misleading that the banner ads for Wordfast claim it is a "FREE and Confidential web-based TM". A lot of software (e.g. shareware) offers a free trial version, but that doesn't make it free!

Is such misleading advertising really acceptable?

Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
You mix different things Apr 15, 2011

David Williams wrote:

I find it very annoying and misleading that the banner ads for Wordfast claim it is a "FREE and Confidential web-based TM". A lot of software (e.g. shareware) offers a free trial version, but that doesn't make it free!

1. The banner, probably, refers to Wordfast Anywhere being free (i. e. at zero price), not to Wordfast Classic or Wordfast Pro.
2. The concept of “free” is understood differently by different people. Obviously, if you take the FSF’s standpoint, neither WFA, nor WFC, nor WFP are free software. OTOH, in that case any trial version is not free.
3. Neither WFC, nor WFP have any trial version. They’re full versions running in limited-functionality mode without a license purchased, and even in such mode they let you do small to medium jobs (and, in particular, there are no time limits).

[Edited at 2011-04-15 11:21 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Removing Wordfast

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search