Is it possible to convert files from Wordfast Professional Format to Wordfast Classic?
Thread poster: Chris Lovelace

Chris Lovelace  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 12:36
Russian to English
+ ...
Apr 14, 2011

I am working on a team with several translators using Wordfast Classic. However, one of them just let me know that he is using Wordfast Professional (I'm not sure what version or OS he has).

Is there an easy way for him to convert or export his files to Wordfast Classic? I need him to deliver an uncleaned Word.doc and his glossary as a .txt file.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Sincerely,

Chris

Direct link Reply with quote

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:36
Spanish to English
+ ...
Don't know Apr 14, 2011

But having tried WF professional I must admit it didn't impress me at all. Neither the new (to me, irritating) Deja-Vu style interface nor all the added extras did anything for me. I sent it back and reinstalled the old Classic, which does all that I want or need it to.
I wish you the best of luck with it...

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
If you're felling hackish Apr 14, 2011

Chris Lovelace wrote:
However, one of them just let me know that he is using Wordfast Professional. ... Is there an easy way for him to convert or export his files to Wordfast Classic? I need him to deliver an uncleaned Word.doc and his glossary as a .txt file.

Well, the WFP TM is 99% the same as the WFC TM. I'm not sure about the glossaries.

If a translators to whom I had outsourced something had done something like this to me (i.e. delivered TXMLs instead of uncleaned RTF files), then I would have opened those TXMLs in MS Word (as Unicode Text, not as parsed XML) and I would have performed this Find/Replace on it:

Find:
( \ < s o u r c e * \ > ) ( * ) ( \ < \ / s o u r c e \ > ) ( * ) ( \ < t a r g e t * \ > ) ( * ) ( \ < \ / t a r g e t \ > )
Replace:
\ 1 \ 2 \ 3 \ 4 \ 5 { 0 & g t ; \ 2 & l t ; } 0 { & g t ; \ 6 & l t ; 0 } \ 7
(spaces added between all characters to ensure that ProZ.com's forum software don't munge it)

...and then create the target files and change the WFC tags to that purpose style (optional). This might not always work, though (hence the label "hackish"). Also, there must be no untranslated segments in the TXML file whatsoever.

I do this regularly when I have to edit a translation in TXML done by someone else -- I want to use WFC for it, so I need to convert the TXML file to WFC compatible format. That is not relevant to you, but the macro that I use would be similar to the one you use (i.e. the Find/Replace indicated above). You can also get the macro here:

http://wikisend.com/download/477664/macro.txt

Krzysztof Kajetanowicz  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
is this what I think it is? Apr 14, 2011

Samuel Murray wrote:

Chris Lovelace wrote:
However, one of them just let me know that he is using Wordfast Professional. ... Is there an easy way for him to convert or export his files to Wordfast Classic? I need him to deliver an uncleaned Word.doc and his glossary as a .txt file.

Well, the WFP TM is 99% the same as the WFC TM. I'm not sure about the glossaries.

If a translators to whom I had outsourced something had done something like this to me (i.e. delivered TXMLs instead of uncleaned RTF files), then I would have opened those TXMLs in MS Word (as Unicode Text, not as parsed XML) and I would have performed this Find/Replace on it:

Find:
( \ < s o u r c e * \ > ) ( * ) ( \ < \ / s o u r c e \ > ) ( * ) ( \ < t a r g e t * \ > ) ( * ) ( \ < \ / t a r g e t \ > )
Replace:
\ 1 \ 2 \ 3 \ 4 \ 5 { 0 & g t ; \ 2 & l t ; } 0 { & g t ; \ 6 & l t ; 0 } \ 7
(spaces added between all characters to ensure that ProZ.com's forum software don't munge it)

...and then create the target files and change the WFC tags to that purpose style (optional). This might not always work, though (hence the label "hackish"). Also, there must be no untranslated segments in the TXML file whatsoever.

I do this regularly when I have to edit a translation in TXML done by someone else -- I want to use WFC for it, so I need to convert the TXML file to WFC compatible format. That is not relevant to you, but the macro that I use would be similar to the one you use (i.e. the Find/Replace indicated above). You can also get the macro here:

http://wikisend.com/download/477664/macro.txt

Oh, this really made my day! What you've done is you've made Wordfast Pro (supported by a Word macro) produce unclean word files, something users had been begging for... can't wait to try it.

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 20:36
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
You can use the same TM Apr 14, 2011

I use the same TM in WFC and WFP all the time. So all one needs to do is take the source files and translate them in WFC to get the bilingual file. Or vice versa.
I use WFP and Trados interchangeably on ttx-files.

Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
That's what I would do Apr 14, 2011

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

I use the same TM in WFC and WFP all the time. So all one needs to do is take the source files and translate them in WFC to get the bilingual file. Or vice versa.
I use WFP and Trados interchangeably on ttx-files.

Or rather, ask the translator to do!

Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 20:36
English to Arabic
WFC can do this! Apr 14, 2011

Dear Chris,

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

That is right.

Otherwise, you can check this:
http://www.proz.com/post/1657796#1657796

I hope this helps.

---
Best regards,
Yasmin Moslem

Wordfast Support Team
www.wordfast.com | www.wordfast.net

Chris Lovelace  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 12:36
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
THANKS! Apr 27, 2011

Sorry for the late reply!

Thank you all for your comments! I was able to share them with the translator, and he managed to resolve the issue. I'm not sure which idea worked best for him, but I'm going to keep them all on file for future reference.

I really appreciate your help!

Sincerely,

Chris

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it possible to convert files from Wordfast Professional Format to Wordfast Classic?

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

SDL Trados Studio 2017 for €415/$495 with free eLearning
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €415 / $495 / £325 / ¥60,000 For this month only – receive SDL Trados Studio 2017 - Getting Started eLearning for FREE.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search