Wordfast/Trados Studio compatibility
Thread poster: Jeff Clingenpeel

Jeff Clingenpeel  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:58
German to English
Apr 18, 2011

Hello All,

I'm seriously considering switching to a Macbook when my current computer nears the end of its life (which may not be much longer), and I understand that Wordfast is the main CAT tool that works on Macs. I'm not overly enamored of Trados (error-prone, poor support, unintuitive steps for basic functions, etc.), so moving to Wordfast, which seems to get high marks from people on proz forums, sounds promising. I'm wondering, though, if anyone has experience opening and/or converting Trados studio files for use in Wordfast. I do have a client or two that prefer Trados (specifically Trados 2009) and will often send me jobs as "packages" or at least as sdlxliff files. I'm wondering if Wordfast Pro can handle these or if I would need to split my Mac harddrive to have a Windows OS, just for the sake of these occasional jobs. The clients in question generally want my work back in the Trados format for their databases.

Any insight you have (incl. links to forum threads I've overlooked) would be really helpful.

Thanks so much!

Best regards,

Jeff Clingenpeel

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast/Trados Studio compatibility

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search