Wordfast - segmentation problems with WFC in Word 2007
Thread poster: Sarah Walls

Sarah Walls  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 18:41
French to English
May 4, 2011

Just wondering if anyone else has encountered a similar problem in installing Wordfast Classic in Word 2007:

I have installed WFC version 5.92m in Word 2007 (12.0.6545.5000) SP2 MSO (12.0.6554.5001). In the Trust Center Settings, I have checked "Disable all macros except digitally signed macros" and ticked the "Trust access to the VBA project..."box; checked the "Show the Message Bar in all applications...". Because my Word startup file is in a different location than normal, I copi
... See more
Just wondering if anyone else has encountered a similar problem in installing Wordfast Classic in Word 2007:

I have installed WFC version 5.92m in Word 2007 (12.0.6545.5000) SP2 MSO (12.0.6554.5001). In the Trust Center Settings, I have checked "Disable all macros except digitally signed macros" and ticked the "Trust access to the VBA project..."box; checked the "Show the Message Bar in all applications...". Because my Word startup file is in a different location than normal, I copied the WFC dot file into it manually. With Word 2002, this always worked perfectly.

In Word 2007, the WFC icon shows up and the toolbar opens. Everything looks set to go. Alt+down opens the first segment. But when I type something into the target segment, WFC tells me the target segment is empty. I then close the segment and the segmenting goes haywire. I have tried deleting the dot file and re-installing it; I have tried several different documents, but in every case the result is the same. For some reason, WFC is not recognising the text I type and is not segmenting properly.

So I have two questions:

1. Has anyone encountered this problem and have an idea how to solve it?

2. I notice that the latest WFC dot files are now labelled "Microsoft Office Word 97-2003 template" -- I have not been able to find any labelled for Word 2007 or Word 2010. Does this mean that WFC is no longer really intended for use with Word 2007?

Any answers or suggestions gratefully received.

Best regards,

Sarah Walls
Sydney, Australia
Collapse

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:41
Finnish to French
Try deleting wordfast.ini and normal.dot May 12, 2011

Sarah Walls wrote:
1. Has anyone encountered this problem and have an idea how to solve it?

No, but the usual suspects are normal.dot and wordfast.ini: try deleting both and see if that helps.

Sarah Walls wrote:
2. I notice that the latest WFC dot files are now labelled "Microsoft Office Word 97-2003 template" -- I have not been able to find any labelled for Word 2007 or Word 2010. Does this mean that WFC is no longer really intended for use with Word 2007?

This is because Wordfast is a .dot, not a .dotm. A .dotm would be specific to Word 2007/2010. Since Wordfast is intended to work on all Word versions from 97 to 2010 (on PC) and 98 to 2011 (on Mac), it is delivered as a .dot rather than as a .dotm.

Sarah Walls  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 18:41
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
problem solved May 13, 2011

Hi Dominique,

Thank you very much for your suggestion -- and for clearing up my second query. In fact, with some colleagues' help, I did solve the problem and I should have posted the solution earlier in case anyone else runs into the same difficulty.

Because I keep my Word startup file in a different location for ease of backup, I was copying the Wordfast dot file into that location, rather than just clicking on it and letting it install itself, as the instructions say
... See more
Hi Dominique,

Thank you very much for your suggestion -- and for clearing up my second query. In fact, with some colleagues' help, I did solve the problem and I should have posted the solution earlier in case anyone else runs into the same difficulty.

Because I keep my Word startup file in a different location for ease of backup, I was copying the Wordfast dot file into that location, rather than just clicking on it and letting it install itself, as the instructions say. However, that meant that Wordfast was not listed as a Trusted Publisher, and hence the segmenting problems. I found that provided you specify the new file location first, and then click on Wordfast dot, it will install itself to the new location. A dialogue box then comes up asking if you want to trust everything from this publisher. You say Yes, and Wordfast then appears as a Trusted Publisher under Word Options. Once this was done, the segmenting problems disappeared and Wordfast then worked perfectly.

But many thanks for your kind assistance.

Sarah Walls,
Sydney, Australia
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast - segmentation problems with WFC in Word 2007

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

BaccS – an SDL product
Modern translation business management for freelancers and agencies

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search