Thread poster: Débora D'Eramo

Débora D'Eramo  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:09
English to Spanish
+ ...
May 4, 2011

Hello everyone,
I was sent a couple of files to translate with Wordfast but I only have the trial version installed (4.22 t22). My PM has told me that I can still work with these files by splitting the TM into several parts and adding them as individual TMs. If anyone is so kind as to tell me how to do this, I'd very much appreciate it.
I'm using Office 2003, btw.
Thanks and have a great day!
Débora.-

Heiko Franz  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:09
Member (2008)
English to German
One possible workaround May 4, 2011

When I worked with a trial version of Wordfast, I was able to translate around 500 segments. What I did was to open the tm file in a simple text editor, look at the upper row, which read, for instance:

%20091107~205500 %User ID,PC,PC, %TU=00000594 %DE-DE %Wordfast TM v.5.53q/00 %EN-US %---24001915

There were 594 TUs (translation units) and I had to set this number to, say, %TU=00000001 %DE-DE, copy all TUs out of this file, save it, open it again in Wordfast, close it,
... See more
When I worked with a trial version of Wordfast, I was able to translate around 500 segments. What I did was to open the tm file in a simple text editor, look at the upper row, which read, for instance:

%20091107~205500 %User ID,PC,PC, %TU=00000594 %DE-DE %Wordfast TM v.5.53q/00 %EN-US %---24001915

There were 594 TUs (translation units) and I had to set this number to, say, %TU=00000001 %DE-DE, copy all TUs out of this file, save it, open it again in Wordfast, close it, add the copied TUs and save it. Now I could go on translating by using the translated segments. From time to time, the program told me the TM was full, so I repeated the procedure.

Of course, it's tedious work and I have bought the Pro version, which is not too expensive and easy to use.
Collapse

United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
A question for Heiko... May 4, 2011

Hello Heiko, and many thanks for taking the time to answer.
I've tried to do what you suggested but the heading of my TM looks like this:
%20110504~104129 %User ID,DD,CO cotero,DD Débora %TU=00000000 %EN-US %Wordfast TM v4/00 %ES-ES %User n°=72270865
I take it that the number of TU is 0? What can I do if this is the case?
Thanks again!

Heiko Franz  Identity Verified
Member (2008)
English to German
There are no TUs in the TM May 4, 2011

Which means you don't have any pre-translated segments in your TM. In this case, there shouldn'd be any more rows in your TM (only the one you've posted). Seems like your TM is empty? Or are there more rows like this:

20091115~223158 PC 3 DE-DE Kapitel 1 EN-US Chapter 1

and your customer has merely set the number of TUs to zero?

[Edited at 2011-05-04 16:30 GMT]

United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
There are thousands of lines.... May 4, 2011

it seems to me that the client has simply set the number to 0. When I load the TM, it prompts this message:

This TM of over 500 TUs was processed with an unlicensed version of Wordfast. Your TM is fine, but cannot be used for the moment. Matches cannot be found in this TM. Please buy a license number (if not already done), type it in Wordfast, then REORGANIZE the TM (in Wordfast, see 'Translation Memory' > 'Service').

Splitting the TM was suggested by the customer; so f
... See more
it seems to me that the client has simply set the number to 0. When I load the TM, it prompts this message:

This TM of over 500 TUs was processed with an unlicensed version of Wordfast. Your TM is fine, but cannot be used for the moment. Matches cannot be found in this TM. Please buy a license number (if not already done), type it in Wordfast, then REORGANIZE the TM (in Wordfast, see 'Translation Memory' > 'Service').

Splitting the TM was suggested by the customer; so far I've been unable to do so and I'm working without the TM.

Thanks again.
Collapse

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Not quite May 4, 2011

Débora C. de D'Eramo wrote:
I was sent a couple of files to translate with Wordfast but I only have the trial version installed (4.22 t22).

This version is the last of the 4.x line. Do you have the obituary version with the easter egg, or the normal version (not important -- just wondering).

My PM has told me that I can still work with these files by splitting the TM into several parts and adding them as individual TMs.

No, you can only have one TM in Wordfast Classic. What you can do (not sure if you can do it in version 4.x) is to create a smaller TM that you load in Wordfast and then place the larger TM in the same folder, and then tell WF to include the larger TM when you do concordance/reference searches. These searches are not affected by the 500 TU limit, but they are initiated manually, by you.

If you feel hackish:

* You can also have a BTM (but Wordfast serves only 100% matches from it).
* You can also increase the trial version's TM capacity by linking to a TM over a LAN, but the procedure for doing this in version 4.x is different from the most recent versions.
* You can create an extraction of all your files, then pre-translate it against the split TMs one by one, and then clean up the files, and make sure the User ID is different so that you can penalise it. This is only if you're really crazy, though.

United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you so much for your answers... May 4, 2011

Eventually I had to return the job since I was unable to work and it was due today.
Next time may be...
Have a wonderful week!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to split TMs to work with trial version of Wordfast

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search